• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for a first timer - Matching my suit with a shirt, tie, belt and shoes.

TheDaneM

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have just purchased my first suit. I go in college (I'm 20, from Denmark), so it will mostly be worn when i go out and such.

And by going to college, i have a really really tight budget. So i stumbled upon this suit which was for sale for like $170, normal price was $400. It is a danish brand called Bertoni, and the suit is made of polyester and viscose (I know! But decent wool suits in Denmark are $600+)

So as a newcomer, i would really appreciate all the advice i can get.

What would be a good combo of shirt, tie, belt and shoes for this suit - maybe one combo for the little more serious, and one for a night out? I'm really bad at matching clothes and colors, and always have been. (My friends call me handicapped in that matter...)

And how do you think the suit fits me? Any advice i can use next time i need to buy a suit?

Thanks a lot in advance!

- M

Off My Rack

Reaction score
One bit of advice would be to post fit pics standing in a natural position - i.e. no elbows bowed out awkwardly and no arms stretched out to the sides.

SBear

Reaction score
Budget is clearly a factor. You'll need to give the group a budget as well in order to get specific advice of real options.
Having said that, this looks to be a very flat gray/brown. Pretty hard to mess up a combination as this will go with so much. As for color families, I'd suggest blue shirt, dark brown shoes/belt. Tie is a bit trickier and really needs to pull together the other colors - best done by taking the outfit to a tie shop and trying them out directly (take a friend who is good at color matching).

Punjabjat

Reaction score
Gingham dark blue shirt and blue tie for "serious" and you're really open for going out...any darker patterned shirt would work...skip the tie and it'll be fine.

TheDaneM

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Should i get a blue shirt with a pattern/stripes, or just a plain blue? Also do you mean dark blue, maybe even navy? Or a more normal light blue?
- M

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One bit of advice would be to post fit pics standing in a natural position - i.e. no elbows bowed out awkwardly and no arms stretched out to the sides.

and wear a shirt and shoes.

TheDaneM

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. I've taken some pics here with a shirt on too, as GBR suggested.

Have a great day!
-M

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the slightly better pictures - not enough people provide that. Verdict: the suit jacket fits badly at the shoulders and is too short. Even if it were made of quality fabric, unacceptable and not really fixable. Return if possible.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads