Help Fix My Feet!

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by TomK, Mar 16, 2006.

1. TomK

TomK Member

I'll admit it: I have disgusting feet. The good news is I want to clean them up and make them respectable. But, I do need some help. You'll need to see pictures of my feet to understand, so...

Warning: Pictures of disgusting feet are below. View at your own risk.

Left Foot (click to enlarge):
    [​IMG]

Right Foot (click to enlarge:
    [​IMG]

As you can see there are several major problems with my feet:
    • I have large calluses over the tops of my toes (look at my big toes, there are two on each).
    • There is blood underneath one of my nails.
    • There is dead skin at the tip of some of my toes.
    • There are blood bruises at the tips of some of my toes.
    • My nails are in poor condition.

Alright, admitting the problem is the hardest step. Now I just need to know how to fix it. Any ideas on fixing any of the problems with my feet would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

thanks for the warning, btw, that was thoughtful.

are you a runner?

3. TomK

TomK Member

thanks for the warning, btw, that was thoughtful. are you a runner?
    I play a lot of sports. I had one pair of poorly fitting basketball shoes that really put the hurt on my feet. That's where most of the calluses and blood bruises are from. If you don't have perfect fitting basketball shoes, your feet will really get beat up due to the constant change of direction and jumping. It's impossible to get half sizes when have size 13 feet so it's tough to get a good fit. The calluses are over a year old now and I have good fitting shoes so I don't know why they haven't really gotten any smaller. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? Also, how do you get rid of blood bruises on the ends of your toes?

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Go to a podiatrist.

5. TomK

TomK Member

Go to a podiatrist.

Do they actually deal with the aesthetics of feet?

6. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

It may not be evident now, but prolonged beating over time and awkward feet will result in health problems, sometimes serious.

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Gnarly. You can shave calluses down or sand them down. All that dead skin can be removed by soaking them in hot water and then scrubbing with various implements until it's gone - try nail clippers as well. Mainly you need to get shoes that fit. Also you might try wearing thin liner socks inside thicker cushy socks like Thorlo Coolmax. That always helps prevent blisters and rubbing etc.

8. TomK

TomK Member

Gnarly. You can shave calluses down or sand them down. All that dead skin can be removed by soaking them in hot water and then scrubbing with various implements until it's gone - try nail clippers as well. Mainly you need to get shoes that fit. Also you might try wearing thin liner socks inside thicker cushy socks like Thorlo Coolmax. That always helps prevent blisters and rubbing etc.

I have shoes that fit well now but the damage is already done. It's amazing how much one basketball season can do to your feet.

So how would I shave down a calluse? Using a razor, like one that you would use for your face? Sounds painful.

Any ideas for the blood bruises at the ends of my toes? I have a bunch of dead skin that is peeling off but sometimes it takes forever.

9. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

No, you use a special razor/file specifically for calluses. You can find them easily enough. You have to be careful, but it's not that bad. Alternatively, you can go get a pedicure.

I don't know about the blood bruises, but I would suggest going to a podiatrist to make sure you didn't do any severe/permanent damage during your season.

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Calluses are dead skin, like fingernails. There is no pain involved. (Unless you go too deep, down to the skin underneath). If those bumps have feeling on the surface, they are not calluses. You really should talk to a podiatrist or at least a doctor about all the various problems you have there.

11. TomK

TomK Member

OK, I'll probaly try to setup an appointment with a podiatrist and see what they recommend. Thanks for the help everybody (I know it must have been painful to look at those pictures)!

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

*speechless*

I don't really know what to say. Um...ok use toenail clippers to cut your toenails if you don't already. My brother tears his toenails off with his teeth or cuts them off with a pocketknife and that has caused him lots of ingrown nail problems.

Also, when cutting your toenails, don't try cut them into a round shape like you would your fingernails. Toenails like to be cut flat across.

13. TomK

TomK Member

*speechless*

I don't really know what to say. Um...ok use toenail clippers to cut your toenails if you don't already. My brother tears his toenails off with his teeth or cuts them off with a pocketknife and that has caused him lots of ingrown nail problems.

Also, when cutting your toenails, don't try cut them into a round shape like you would your fingernails. Toenails like to be cut flat across.

I use toe nail trimmers to cut my nails. They're basically minature scissors with a curved blade. I don't really like the idea of having flat toenails. That sounds like it would cause more ingrown nail problems than having rounded nails.

14. javyn

javyn Senior member

If you don't get ingrowns having them rounded, awesome, I don't either. But some people do get them growing inward in the sides if they are rounded.

15. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Go to a podiatrist.

I second that. I just went to one and it was a good experience. There are lots of things one can do to correct what you have on the nails and also prevent calluses and other things from happening. i.e. small pads between toes, on top of toes...