• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help fitting for very tall athletic man,

Lizen

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been looking through my closet lately, and frankly, I am kind of embarrassed by all of the clothes I own and how they do not fit me properly. I am 6'6", 230 pounds. I am lost as to where to turn for stores that carry clothing that fit em well. I wear mostly button downs, denim, and polos. Does anyone have any input or advice? Thank you. I tried using search but I could only find something that was for tall skinny people, and not tall muscular people. Thanks for the help.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
take measurements of yourself and all the clothes that you think fit properly. then troll b&s and our affiliates and the sales thread for pieces that you think will fit. if they don't sell them back on b&s. if you think they do post in the waywt thread and many of our snarky residents will snidely comment on them after which most noobs lashback or leave. some of them are callous enough to stick around and generally their wardrobes improve.

i'd start with good denim. i dunno what your inseam is but blue in green and selfedge and atsui (i think) carry good denim brands that have 36 in inseam. don't hesitate to email them. ask for sanforized denim.

good denims, cheap t-shirts (i like hanes), sneakers, boots, coats, sweaters, etc.

welcome to sf and sorry for your wallet.

Lizen

Reaction score
Any more help anyone? Thanks again.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Denim shouldn't be too terribly difficult. I'm guessing you'd want something reminiscent of an LVC '66 cut with a certain amount of thigh room and some taper so the proportions of the legs match the proportions of your legs. Beyond Levi's proper, you can email Blue in Green or Self Edge, describe what you're looking for, and see what they come back with.

For shirts, well, I'm pretty sure you're going to need to get your shirts tailored if you want them to fit. I have a 10 or 11-inch drop from chest to waist (though I'm nowhere near as tall or muscular as you), so anything that fits my chest size fits like a tent in the waist, and anything that fits in the waist pulls at the chest. I need to have my shirts tapered (taken in along the side seams) and darted (taken in at the back) if I want them to fit me properly without anything too tight or too billowy. So you can either look for shirts that fit your chest, neck, shoulders, and arms, then have them taken in, or you can drop a large amount of cash on made-to-measure (MTM) shirts (which often come with a six-shirt order minimum).

The problem with shirt issue is that shirts that would fit you would not fit normal people, so there's little incentive for anyone to produce shirts for such a small, niche audience.

You could also try asking the Kunk, who's a pretty big guy (not sure how tall), but his look (and clothing budget) may not match what you're going for.

Oh, and on the cheap you could just get 501s or some types of Wranglers (you can find long inseams online, probably at Amazon, Zappos, or Shepler's), and you can get a cheap sewing machine and learn to tailor shirts yourself (which may involve ruining a few shirts in the process).

joei

Reaction score
I'm 6'2 and have a very broad shoulders. So alot of time shirts that fit my shoulders are like tents the rest of the way down. Solution? Tailor

I think your first step is to find a good tailor. I usually buy my shirts one size up and have them fitted.

For jeans +1 for 501s . They come in long inseams. I've seen 36 before.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beware of raw selvedge. You can't afford the shrinkage. Be prepareed to get most shirts tailored. With most SW&D approved brands that don't focus on Americana, you'll be hard pressed to find the sleeve length you need. BB, Rugby, JCrew, Lands End and LL Bean should all cary items that fit you. Most will require alterations.

You're actually fortunate that you weigh 230, because you won't be swiming in XLs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads