• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help, fit, Iron Heart and Flat head..need advice.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was given two pairs of jeans and need fit help.

iron Heart 21 oz DC4001 w34 L 36
I am a 34.5 x 34. These are raw. They fit trim but not super tight. Are these Sanforized? Will they shrink in a cold was? Will they stretch?

The second pair are a Flat Head 34 x 36. They say Lot 1001. They are 1.5 inches too loose in waist and 4+ inches extra long. Will they shrink with a cold wash? Are they Sanforized? Will they shrink but then stretch? They must be 35.5-36" waist
now. They are raw.

Any advice Jean gurus?

Thx

Kagemusha

Reaction score
come on PSG, you should know a simple search on here or google will tell you this.....i'll help though

the iron hearts are sanforized, so minimal shrinkage. however they can still probably stretch out an inch or so in the waist.

you didn't list a model on the flatheads so i can't help...

EDIT:saw you put 1001.......those are unsanforized......will shrink about 1" in the waist and 2-3" in the inseam. hot soak them since you're wanting maximum shrinkage.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that input. I will keep the Iron Heart DC4 and give back the Flat Heads to my friend. He also gave me a pair of Levis Engineered Garments 1947 from a while ago that are raw in 34 x 36. They fit great!
Originally Posted by Kagemusha
come on PSG, you should know a simple search on here or google will tell you this.....i'll help though the iron hearts are sanforized, so minimal shrinkage. however they can still probably stretch out an inch or so in the waist. you didn't list a model on the flatheads so i can't help... EDIT:saw you put 1001.......those are unsanforized......will shrink about 1" in the waist and 2-3" in the inseam. hot soak them since you're wanting maximum shrinkage.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you randomly receive a pair of IH and FH? and please stop calling them Iron Horse, I believe there is another Japanese maker with that name.

I would keep the FH out of those two. if they are 1.5" too big now, they will be right after a hot soak

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
How do you randomly receive a pair of IH and FH? please stop calling them Iron Horse,
I have a longtime friend from Austria who is half my age but my exact measurements. We met trading vintage Levis 6-7 years ago. Because we both have a very long inseam we are always on the lookout for vintage Levis, LVC and quality Japanese, that will work for us (he is 6'3" and I am 6"2"). He gained a little weight lately so he is happy to send me his smaller waist jeans. I send him cool US vintage items. Will stop calling them Iron Horse! Hahaha. The Iron Heart DC4 are very impressive with the 21on denim. The FH might shrink enough in waist but would then be too short in length.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
This is this website.. it's called Self Edge... they have full shrinking info on every jean they carry on their site.

This was actually my first stop Kiya, but couldn't find the DC4 on the site. I like your site a lot. It has excellent information.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a pair of raw 33 x 36 they want to swap for raw 34 x 36? These measure exactly 35" in waist. Awesome jeans!

IronHeart.jpg

alexanduh

Reaction score
damn those look pretty awesome

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

The FH might shrink enough in waist but would then be too short in length.

You said they are 4"+ too long? If I were in your position i would just soak them, they will shrink by 4"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads