Help - First Good Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by m carman, Mar 24, 2005.

1. m carman

m carman New Member

I stumbled accross SF late in February and have enjoyed it ever since. I have learned a ton about everything from hangers (I just ordered the ones from Walgreens that everyone seemed to recommend.) to ties.

I need help buying my first good suit, and could use some help. Actually, I'm looking to buy three suits over the next several months. I'm a lawyer in Salt Lake, and I'm a 40R. I would preferrably like to spend no more than $700 per suit, but if I need to go more to get something I love, I will.

Based on your recommendations (I think it was johnnynorman3) in an earlier thread, I want to start with a solid, charcoal grey, two-button with a slightly higher stance. I know that is fairly particular, so I'm flexible and open to your suggestions. If possible, I'm looking for a high-quality suit at eBay type prices. Salt Lake has a couple of decent stores, but with limited selection and only two sales a year. I have been searching eBay daily for a month and have seen nothing: either the fabrics have too much pattern for a good first suit or they're $1,300 for at Attolini, which I aspire to but can't afford right now.

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Those will probably be too big -- the 52 won't fit unless he's actually more like a 41R.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

They had some 50Rs that i saw, I guess they are sage glen plaid, never mind unless he likes that color/pattern, they did have a dark grey windowpane as well but that may be too bold.

5. johnnynorman3

What suits do you wear 40R in? I could get you a Hickey Freeman for $475, and I'd be happy to send it to you. I could get you probably a 2 or 3 button in a charcoal color, most likely single vented. I'm on the small side of 40R and the HF 40R is just ever so slightly big. But if you are a true 40R, it'd work.

6. m carman

m carman New Member

A 40R is just a titch large, but a Hickey Freeman would be good. I would prefer side vents, however, if I can find it. As I mentioned in my initial post, if I need to spend a little more to get something great, that is an option. What do you think about my price range?

7. johnnynorman3

I think your price range is totally doable. There is a 40R Isaia in mid-grey on Ebay right not (seller Joeclothing) that might be what you are looking for (it is in Sciamarra Spider wool, which is going to be pretty lightweight, I think. Also, the top button shouldn't be buttoned, which is why the picture in the auction looks so weird).

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I think your best bet is eBay, although you're going to have to become less picky (i.e., charcoal suit rather than high-stance, two-button charcoal suit). Â Be patient, and keep in mind that desirable items in 40R are likely to be the subject of competitive bidding (from folks like me). Â Here is an example of a nice Zegna that is currently at a low bid price.

9. m carman

m carman New Member

Thank you both, Johnnynorman3 and Ambulance Chaser.