• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help finding Seiko 5 simliar to the SCVS013

kennyyboy

Reaction score
I'm looking for my first automatic watch for under $150. I've done numerous search reading through everyone's thread and recommendations on the forum and search engines.

Although I am in love with the Seiko Spirit SCVS013, I cannot afford or accept to spend that much on my first real watch. Can someone recommend a "Seiko 5" that has a similar simple classic design as the Spirit SCVS013? I'm looking for a white dial that I can swap out to leather straps.

I'm pretty confused with the Seiko 5 line because there seems to be an abundant amount of watches labeled under that name, and Seiko's website wasn't very helpful.

Also, how can you tell if the strap can be swapped?

ktrp

Reaction score
I bought a seiko 5 recently, and swapped it to a leather strap. I bought the tool with the strap online, the tool was $6, it took me about 45 seconds to swap the strap.

Something like the snk789 sounds like what you're after.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up this Seiko 5 (SNXF01) last month from overstock for $65. Took it off the cheap bracelet and put in on a croc strap from another watch. Running +2 sec/day.
SEIKOWRIST2.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That's a great looking Seiko 5.

Originally Posted by kennyyboy
Although I am in love with the Seiko Spirit SCVS013, I cannot afford or accept to spend that much on my first real watch.
Where are you seeing this for sale?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
I picked up this Seiko 5 (SNXF01) last month from overstock for $65. Took it off the cheap bracelet and put in on a croc strap from another watch. Running +2 sec/day.

this is really close the the Spirit. Even the 2 seconds fast/day. You should not hesitate in buying it

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
this is really close the the Spirit. Even the 2 seconds fast/day. You should not hesitate in buying it

I agree 100%. I have the Seiko Spirit, but for the price, the watch pictured is an excellent buy and pretty damn close to the Spirit.

kennyyboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
^ That's a great looking Seiko 5.

Where are you seeing this for sale?

I saw it available brand new on ebay last night for close to $400 for buy it now or make an offer. The listing is no longer up, so I assume someone snatched it quick.

Do you guys have any other recommendations to suggest besides the SNXF01? I just love the simplicity and classiness of the Spirit with it's white dial.

What do you guys think of the Orient Classic
http://www.orientwatchusa.com/cev090...sic-p-391.html

I"ll be open to other brands too besides just the Seiko.

What are your opinions on "Christopher Ward" watches. I was also considering the C5 Malvern Automatic. http://www.christopherward-usa.com/m.../c5/c5sst.html
Do you guys think I should save up to this price point and get this instead as my first?

hobscrk777

Reaction score
I, too, was interested in the SCVS013 a few months ago, right about the time all the retailers were selling out their of their inventory. I bought a SARB031 instead.
sarb0315001a.jpg

Confucius

Reaction score
Try jomashop.com

I have no experience with them but they sell a large range of watch brands and seem to have a reasonably reputation. They have many Seikos as well if I recall correctly.

Would it take you very long to save up another $300? If not, perhaps you could save and jump onto Seiya Japan and pick up one from his site. I just bought my dad one for Christmas (SARB035) and Seiya-san's service is absolutely top notch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads