• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help finding a reasonably-priced overcoat (in Toronto)

Canuckk

Reaction score
I am working in Toronto for the next 4 months and was looking into finding a reasonably-priced single-breast, 3/4 length men's overcoat (or at least one that extends to somewhere between the knees and waist) in black ideally. It should also be a fairly warm one, since it gets pretty cold here at times. I'm hoping to find one at a price that I don't find outrageous ($500 max, and that's pushing it to begin with to me). I understand the nicer ones are going to run me more, but I can live with a cheaper coat so long as it's fairly stylish and can last me a while.

I'm also not sure where to shop in Toronto. I would prefer not to shop online because I want to see how it looks on me before buying it. I'm a little clueless as to what shops will sell overcoats though (this would be my first overcoat, obviously) and, more importantly, which places will sell good overcoats within my price range.

Anyone got any suggestions or advice? People here seem to be very knowledgeable in general so hopefully you guys can help me out. Thanks.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've missed the sales at Holts and Harry Rosen. However, both of those stores will carry what you're looking for in your price range. I would go down to Bloor St and check out Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen and Stollery's. Each will have what you're looking for with salespeople who can help you out and alterations departments to help get the fit right.

Alternatively, there's an H&M across from Holt Renfrew as well.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You think Holts and Harry's will have coats for less than 500, not on sale even?

Honestly, the best bet might be The Bay.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Club Monaco.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
You think Holts and Harry's will have coats for less than 500, not on sale even?

Honestly, the best bet might be The Bay.

I bought my first overcoat from Stollery's when I moved to TO from Vancouver. This was pre-SF so it also doubled as a wool tent in emergencies, but it cost less than $500.

Club Monaco is an awesome suggestion. It fits the bill in price and something with a modern, slimmer style.

020-banker

Reaction score
I have a coat from United Colors of Benneton. Purchased 3-4 years ago for $220 or so. Slim, looks good, fills the bill. Been stopped a few times by people asking where I got it.

pnin22

Reaction score
Banana Republic has some nice overcoats right now at 50% off clearance, it will run you less than $100. The bloor street location has a good selection of sizes

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 82 16.9%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 160 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 79 16.3%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 41 8.5%