• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help finding a dressier pair of jeans

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am finding that, despite having casual jeans I love, I lack a good fancier pair. Here is what I want: something pretty mainstream, without being quite as ubiquitous as 7s, and nothing crappy from a chain store, like gap, Express, etc. It should be straight legged, or with a slight bootcut. It should be a bit narrower than my Diesel Kuratts, but not as tight as, say, the PDC GTO. I am guessing it should be darker, but that is negotiable. So far I have looked at Citizens of Humanity Jager, Rock and Republic Pete and Taylor, and actually, one pair of 7s, the new straight leg ones (I believe called 'standard'). I don't want "typical" denim-head jeans, I actually want something that will get noticed by a logo a bit (I'm not shallow, just the girls I try to pick up
wink.gif
). Any other suggestions, or things I should consider about the ones I am looking at now? Below are some pics of pairs I've seen/need to try:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...x=1&cmCat=him2

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...x=2&cmCat=him2

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...x=7&cmCat=him2

http://www.barneys.com/b/browse/prod...egoryId=281244

http://www.barneys.com/b/browse/prod...egoryId=281244

So, while I hardly want to standout as "the jackass" we all know and love, I want to bee seen as someone who has good taste in both fits and labels, and who knows how to dress nicely (as considered by attractive females). I know this is not how we typically judge styles, but this is what I am interested in now. Oh, and if it helps, I live in Boston now, but will likely be in LA by the middle of the summer.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about Earnest Sewn, not recognizeable enough?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
How about Earnest Sewn, not recognizeable enough?

Actually, they were the first I looked at, but I couldn't find one that fit me exactly the way I wanted.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I want to bee seen as someone who has good taste in both fits and labels, and who knows how to dress nicely (as considered by attractive females).

If this is the case, I would buy the second pair. Rock&Republic will get you some props, especially from the ladies. The second pair, IMO, are the best fitting and best looking wash of the bunch you posted.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
If this is the case, I would buy the second pair. Rock&Republic will get you some props, especially from the ladies. The second pair, IMO, are the best fitting and best looking wash of the bunch you posted.

Yea, I love the color on those. You think the flap pockets have at least some staying power/can be dressed up? I also love the Rs on the pockets. It all comes down to fit now, I just have to try a pair on.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Yea, I love the color on those. You think the flap pockets have at least some staying power/can be dressed up? I also love the Rs on the pockets. It all comes down to fit now, I just have to try a pair on.
I think by the time flap pockets are out of the waves of the times, Rock & Republic will be long gone. The flap pockets are what's going to get the attention. I think it's not a bad direction - get a pair of the jeans from a more embellished brand, but with a simpler wash and slightly more conservative styling. Edit: didn't see those last jeans you linked (COH). Those look pretty cool too. It's a toss up between those and the R&RS - do you want the distressing or do you want one-wash? Up to you.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I think by the time flap pockets are out of the waves of the times, Rock & Republic will be long gone. The flap pockets are what's going to get the attention. I think it's not a bad direction - get a pair of the jeans from a more embellished brand, but with a simpler wash and slightly more conservative styling.
Careful, by your last statement, I might be confused and go buy a pair of True Religion
wink.gif
. But I know what you mean. It also means that on a warmer night, I can tuck a dressier shirt (like a plain white, or printed shirt) and not look like I'm 40, but rather showing off the flashier back pockets. BTW, saw your edit, if both fit, well then, I might need to add two pairs of dress jeans to the wardrobe
smile.gif

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are some other brands that may be recognizeable also, depending on the demographic you're after. Evisu, for example, is notable in my area :p Edit: Also, regarding the COH... if what you're after is brand recognition, I don't see anything on them that makes it obvious that you're wearing CoH, unless you're counting on someone asking you what they are. Edit 2: NM, the pocket detailing is just dark as hell
smile.gif

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Helmut Lang, Dior Homme, New Standards. Dressy and no branding at all.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Helmut Lang, Dior Homme, New Standards. Dressy and no branding at all.

I think the point is that he wants SOME minor branding so that he will be recognized, and may even start some conversations with the ladies. Unlike the rest of us, he wants to dress nice to get ladies. Weirdo. *tongue planted firmly in cheek*

minya

Reaction score
Well, the kind of ladies that'll be interested in him because he's wearing expensive mainstream jeans... yikes.
tongue.gif

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably prefer to go with another stand out item, something thats quality and recognizeable. Does it really HAVE to be the jeans that let the ladies know you know your stuff? How about a nice jacket, watch, belt, or shoes?

seen

Reaction score
Yea, second the nice jacket, watch, or shoes.

Man, I dunno, I wouldnt be interested in ladies who dig guys only because they wear nice jeans.

But I'd look into the Citizens of humanity Jager or APC new standards, imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads