• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help finally making a suit decision

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I need to buy a suit this week. I have narrowed it down to 4 brands. Zegna, Canali, Corneliani and Polo(not RLPL).

Polo is the cheapest, Canali and corneliani are about the same and Zegna is the most expensive.

I have examined all of them and can't decide:
Question #1: Is Zegna worth the extra money?
Question #2: Would the Canali or Corneliani be worth the extra cash over the Polo on sale this week?
Question #3: Am I nuts for obsessing over this. Should I just put the names in the hat and pick it?

Thanks for all your help

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I assume you have tried them all on, and they all fit equally well? Or at least close enough that style and silhouette will be the tie breaker? And you can't decide which style you like best?

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I have tried them all on. I actually own one of all them, besides Zegna. They are all three buttons. I went to Saks and I tried them all on again, except polo. I tried both 2 and 3 buttons. I can't tell the difference. I like Zegna, but I think it has the image attraction and i might not be picking based on logic. I hate my Corneliani, but that because I was sold a 54L as opposed to a 52L by an unscrupulous salesman. I just can't make up my mind and my time is ticking.

Additionally, this suit is part of my general upgrading of my collection. So, I want to make a decision that I won't regret down the road.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
With such close calls all around, this sounds like one of those hair splitting decisions that only you can make. Is one of them a color or pattern than you don't already have? That might make it easier.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question #1: Is Zegna worth the extra money?

Not really. I do not find any difference in quality bewteen Ermenegildo Zegna and Canali. I think they both have roughly an equal amount of hand stitches go in.

Question #2: Would the Canali or Corneliani be worth the extra cash over the Polo on sale this week?

I don't know much of Polo. But I personally like Canali, epecially, Canali's with drop 8s.

Question #3: Am I nuts for obsessing over this. Should I just put the names in the hat and pick it?

No.

Zegna is nice if it fits nicely. I personally cannot wear newer Zegna RTW suits since they now make suits VERY narrow on the shoulders.

Let us know how it goes for you.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Go with the Canali or Corneliani. Zegna is not worth the extra $$, and Polo is not as well made.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find Zegna's fabrics pill far less than Canali's. For what that's worth.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
Go with the Canali or Corneliani. Zegna is not worth the extra $$, and Polo is not as well made.
What if the Canali and Zegna were almost the same price?

Is there any difference between Canali & Corneliani? They seem to be priced similarly?

What would be a step up from the two of them? Is there a next tier prior to hitting the Brioni's & Kitons?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't confuse A. Harris's statement that "Zegna is not worth the extra $$" to mean that Zegna is not a better suit than Canali and Corneliani. I believe it most certainly is. I think the styling is a bit more distinctive and I think the coat is lighter overall, which I like. I think that the "construction quality" is a bit better too -- notably in the pick-stitching and at the collar. Miniscule differences though indeed. I continue to be unimpressed with the quality to price ratio of Zegna cloth, but objectively it is one of the better Italian cloths IMO. If the Canali and the Zegna are within $100 - $150 of each other, all other things equal go with the Zegna. Of course, not all other things will be equal -- meaning go with the one whose fit flatters you best (fit = fit + silhouette).

While I might be tempted to buy a Kiton over a Canali even if I like how the Canali looked on me a bit better (assuming the two suits were at the same price point), the quality improvement in a Zegna over Canali is small (and some might argue illusory). Therefore, quality (excluding clear cloth quality differences) should not be a driving factor in this decision.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(A Harris @ Mar. 14 2005,02:36) Go with the Canali or Corneliani. Zegna is not worth the extra $$, and Polo is not as well made.
What if the Canali and Zegna were almost the same price? Is there any difference between Canali & Corneliani? They seem to be priced similarly? What would be a step up from the two of them? Is there a next tier prior to hitting the Brioni's & Kitons?
Isaia. But check your labels, pick your lapels and chestpieces, because a lot of it is fused these days.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good call, John. There were some fantastic Isaias on Ebay last week that went for only $450 per. That will not be seen again I guarantee. Sierra Trading Post's Isaias will set you back $700 - $900 right now (with the discount code) and they have some beautiful ones. Isaia blows Zegna away IMO.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I just want to check. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between Corneliani and Canali?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes -- they look different.

Both good suits -- I still think Canali has slightly better lapels. Go with the one that you think looks better.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Problem with Isaia is their coat is damn long. I know that is trait of napolitian suits.

I also like to get hands on Isaia. I heard they use really fantastic cloth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads