• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Dress a Veteran

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^

It means it's probably not meant to be one's first tie, and given that OP is looking for a job, a grenadine might be a tad informal (though it probably depends on job).

Ah, that makes sense.

Still, I have a hard time believing someone outside SF would notice the tie in a bad way, but then again I don't interview people.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, that makes sense.

Still, I have a hard time believing someone outside SF would notice the tie in a bad way, but then again I don't interview people.

Yes, quite right. I think, most people, wouldn't even bat an eyelid at it, and if the credentials are sound, the tie is the least of concerns.

Moloch38

Reaction score
Don't ever take off the bracelet. I always wear mine. I rarely get asked about it and usually it's by another veteran. You'd be surprised how many old army, navy, marine, Air Force guys are out there. For the occasional civvie I find it is an eye opener that freedom isn't free.

frankinaug

Reaction score
Don't take the bracelet off. Don't worry about it at all. MOST people are too unaware to notice it and the few that do will not mention it.

The tiebar ties are GREAT for what they are.

Please for the love of all that is good do NOT wear your Bates again.

THROW THEM AWAY. DO IT NOW

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't take the bracelet off. Don't worry about it at all. MOST people are too unaware to notice it and the few that do will not mention it.

The tiebar ties are GREAT for what they are.

Please for the love of all that is good do NOT wear your Bates again.

THROW THEM AWAY. DO IT NOW

Amen on all accounts, and it doesn't matter if the Bates are leather or those ugly fire hazard plastic chlorfams, **** can those puppies ASAP! Old post so too late for OP but AE gives a discount to active and retired military through the military exchange. If they do not carry the shoe at AAFES then you can get a quote through special services. It is one of the reasons I am fond of AE,

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends and has been changing lately but that is more a function of AAFES than AE from what I have been told.

On the exchange site there is a place to sign up for emails from AAFES. There is always at least a 10% discount available for mail orders and they will email you the code. A couple of times a year the 10% discount will increase for one day to any where from 15-20%. Standard stock (calf only) is listed at ~$220-250 depending on the model before discount and of course no tax and free shipping. Special Order items are exempt however from the standard email discount. If you get the Military Star card they also have additional discounts a couple of times a year especially before Christmas. Year before last it was 25% off including Special Order items.

To get a quote and then place an order for shoes not on the AAFES website-

https://shop.milexch.com/shop/Default.aspx
To the left of the search box you will see a heading Special Services/Programs. Put your mouse over that and a drop down will appear, select special order program. When that page loads in the search by vendor I just type Allen. When the results page displays click on the link for ALLEN EDMOND'S FOOTWEAR. A form will show up which you have to fill the information out for what you want a quote on. After you submit it you get a reply back in a few days with the price and a phone number to call to place your order. The pricing is all across the board any more but is still usually pretty decent.

If you have any questions or problems just let me know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads