• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help deciding on a bag!

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hello SFers, i am currently debating 2 bags from STP. a little background first: i will be mainly using this for carrying a few notebooks around campus, i'm at the end of my college career and don't need to lug around books or anything heavy. i've wanted a brown leather bag for a while, and haven't been able to find one within my college student price range. however i found 2 on STP that seem acceptable.

by tusting & co. - $140 after discounts:
s3elty.jpg

by latico - $70 after discounts:
hv8f0y.jpg

help me decide which to get! the former was my 1st choice, but i was afraid that it might be too formal, although it'd be nice to use it after college. the latter seems too tan for my tastes, i'd like it to be just a few shades darker. if neither, i am very open to suggestions as well! <$180 would most likely be my budget for this. thanks guys!

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you be willing to buy used? I have one that is halfway between the two that I got from the Wilson's outlet that I'd be willing to let go for a price halfway between the two.

I've had it since July or August and already want something different.
wink.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Double buckles are very, very annoying.

Synrax

Reaction score
What career path will you pursue? The first does look a bit more formal although having a handle strap brings more functionality. But those buckles will be tedious to use. The second looks like a bag for the 20-30s crowd. I'd try to find a hybrid or go for the second in a darker shade.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

i haven't had much experience, but using a bit of my imagination i can already picture how this would be annoying!

Originally Posted by Synrax
What career path will you pursue? The first does look a bit more formal although having a handle strap brings more functionality. But those buckles will be tedious to use. The second looks like a bag for the 20-30s crowd. I'd try to find a hybrid or go for the second in a darker shade.

i'll be going into grad school for environmental science, so i will be using this for a few more years to come. i guess the 2nd bag, then, is a bit better suited for my needs. i am not sure how those magnetic straps would work if my bag starts bulging with papers though.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would choose the first one out of the two. I don't think the double buckles would be annoying to use. Maybe they look overdone but as far as using them, you really only need to put the knobs through the holes. You never need to touch the actual buckles unless you want to adjust how tight it closes. Anyway, assuming it has the quality to last, it would probably age well. Just my two cents...

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PM'd.

In reference to the message SoCal posted about double buckles being annoying: they are. The bag I sent pics of has buckles for decoration, and clips that snap in and unlock when you push the button for easy access when needed.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

I agree here, too. They may look neat, but are total pains. Luckily, many now have the decorative buckles with snaps, but I had a Prada one with actual buckles about ten years ago and though I loved the styling, came to hate it in about a month of actual use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads