• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help deciding about shoes

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
given the prices, which one of these is the best? thanks. 1. RL POLO at BLUEFLY 2. Â MORESCHI at bluefly - i screwed up while editing the post and lost the link. i'll put it back in a bit. 3. [/url]polo at polo.com are there any better deals out there? Â my budget is a measly $200 and i have a b-school interview coming up. Â i've mostly been wearing loafers in my current work environ. so not suitable for interview.

TomW

Reaction score
I personally prefer the Moreschi's - I own a pair and find them extremely comfortable to wear. I also prefer the modestly perforated captoe to the plain oxford. I don't think either is a bad choice per se, my belief is that tht Moreschi's are slightly better made, therefore a slightly better value.

YMMV

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Polos are better made, actually. Both are decent shoes though.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Polos do have a very sophisticated looking shape. I have the shoes in fact and really like them. I also have Moreschis and the Polos are more comfortable IMO as well. Both run small, FYI.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't really like the styling in either shoe, but do prefer the Polo to the Moreschi. But keep in mind that I really, really, dislike captoe shoes. It's plain or medallion front Bals (or the occasional modern blucher, like the ones that Helmut Lang and Prada come out with every season) for me.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of what are probably identical Moreschis (from Bluefly) in chestnut brown. They actually have a leather/rubber combo heel and a very thin rubber outsole, which isn't clear from the description on Bluefly--and the heel stack is leather, not wood. They are a pretty good shoe--very thin and flexible which makes them really comfortable and light. But because they are so thin and light, they do not feel like the kind of shoe you would resole again and again to keep for many years.

I was actually thinking of returning them but decided to hang on to them for rainy day shoes. The rubber layer is so thin you would not know the sole is rubber without flipping the shoe over to see. They kind of look and act like a pair of leather soled shoes with sole protectors applied--the heel clicks on the pavement like a "normal" dress shoe, but you have rubber soled traction in front. At any rate, I think they are worth the asking price on Bluefly.

I don't know anything about those Polos, as none of my Polo shoes are the Italian ones. I'd speculate that those are going to be a heavier and more substantial shoe.

Either one is probably fine for interviews. Some would argue that cap toes are a little more orthodox business wear than plain toes like those Polos, but I think it is up to you.

TomW

Reaction score
jn3 is absolutely right about them running small - I buy a half size up in both shoes. I'd also be willing to bet that I'm by a fairly wide margin the oldest respondent to this thread. Tradition vs. contemporary and all that... and foot shape is very important to shoe comfort, unlike jn3, I find the Moreschi's infinitely more comfortable than the Italian made Polo's. If possible find a retail outlet that carries both and do a little test drive.

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies - one more question. just came across these at polo.com. Polo wingtips with another 25% off that price, are these better? also, do these run small as well? again, thank you everyone who has replied. i'm a little lost when it comes to shoes and all this hand holding is awesome.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies - one more question. Â just came across these at polo.com. Polo wingtips with another 25% off that price, are these better? Â also, do these run small as well? Â again, thank you everyone who has replied. Â i'm a little lost when it comes to shoes and all this hand holding is awesome.
I would bet those are very similar to the Polos on Bluefly in terms of build quality and fit--they are also Italian (see the mark inside the shoe?). They might even be on the same last and from the same factory. At the very least I wouldn't expect them to be appreciably better made, or worth significantly more money. I might also add that I don't like wingtips. If you can afford to float the cash, you can always buy both of those other shoes from Bluefly, then return the ones you like less. Bear in mind that it can take Bluefly a few weeks to process the credit.

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
(housemaidsknee @ 17 Aug. 2004, 3:09) thanks for all the replies - one more question. Â just came across these at polo.com. Polo wingtips with another 25% off that price, are these better? Â also, do these run small as well? Â again, thank you everyone who has replied. Â i'm a little lost when it comes to shoes and all this hand holding is awesome.
I would bet those are very similar to the Polos on Bluefly in terms of build quality and fit--they are also Italian (see the mark inside the shoe?). Â They might even be on the same last and from the same factory. Â At the very least I wouldn't expect them to be appreciably better made, or worth significantly more money. Â I might also add that I don't like wingtips. If you can afford to float the cash, you can always buy both of those other shoes from Bluefly, then return the ones you like less. Â Bear in mind that it can take Bluefly a few weeks to process the credit.
so is not liking wingtips a personal thing - or are you saying they are not appropriate for interviews. again, as i said, i'm not trying to question your opinions, just to learn.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and i have a b-school interview coming up.

Ugh.

I suggest that you take a big heroin hit right before the interview, like Spud in Trainspotting. That, or pull an Office Space. If you eschew those options, get a pair of purple Stacy Adams Croc loafers, and let those drones see who is *really* pimpalicious.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so is not liking wingtips a personal thing - or are you saying they are not appropriate for interviews. Â again, as i said, i'm not trying to question your opinions, just to learn.
Personal thing. I wouldn't wear them to an interview purely because I don't like them and don't own any, so I can't. Well, actually I do have one pair, but if I wore those to an interview that would create a totally different set of issues . . . since those are my golf shoes.
smile.gif
Some "how to" guides for interviews will actually recommend wingtips. So if you like them, get some. If not, get something else. My suggestion would be to go to a shoe store, try some on, and see if you like the look.

wicozani

Reaction score
also, any opinions on buying a half size bigger?
In my experience you definitely need to get the Polo Italian-made, welted shoes 1/2 size bigger than your usual size.

YMMV.

Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads