Help! College Colors for ties.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sam Hober, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I think you need a nice Harvard magenta... [​IMG]

2. abc123

abc123 Senior member

Abc123,

What sort of design did you have in mind?

Something like this bowtie I have from J Press. Its pretty simple, and I feel like it would probably appeal to people who arent G-town grads/students as well.

[​IMG]

3. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

5. abc123

abc123 Senior member

But those blue crab cargo pants are so much more compelling.

[​IMG] Yeah, the infamous crab and lobster shorts.

On a side note, if one were to make a crab and lobster tie, I would be unable to resist purchasing it (and this would get me in big trouble).

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I will refrain from suggesting Texas A&M (maroon & white) but will add an illustrative story.

I show up to a training session in standard corp attire - charcoal suit, white shirt, maroon tie with 3/4" while polka dots. The gent next to me arrives in identical attire, including the tie. To add to things, we were of similar build, face color, and hair color, and had graduated from A&M on the same day. I changed my tie at the lunch break.

That said, I do find the Longhorn tie appealing and hope your future ties are very lucrative for you.

7. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

I am putting in a vote for the Maize and Blue of Michigan, that should make a sharp tie.

8. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I'll put in a vote for University of Oklahoma
    Crimson /cream

Thinman?

9. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here's what the Penn tie looks like today.http://upenn.bkstore.com/images/imag...oduct_id=26671

Mine is from the mid eighties and I still wear it. It is a traditional repp weave, not what is shown in this picture. I love the fact that the tag on the back says The Bookstore.

I'd be mildly interested in a Penn tie but it's a challenge combining that particular blue and red so it's not boring as well as dull. The U.S. flag benefits from the addition of white.

10. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Any Huskies out there? one vote for the University of Washington's purple and gold.

However, I would never wear a tie that is too boldly gold. The gold would have to be overwhelmed by the purple.

Here is the only one I can find on-line
    [​IMG]

Note how much gold there is--ugh. I wonder if all purple with rep stripes made of the W logo in gold would work? There is also an official Washington Grey that looks nice.

bob

11. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Looks right to me -- but maybe not burnt enough? I'm a recent Texas graduate and although I really despise the burnt orange color for shirts and nearly all attire, I think it looks great on a tie. When I finally get around to ordering a tie from you, Mr. Hober, this may be the one. As of now, though, I have too many ties and not enough shoes.
    Kent, Thank you. Are you doing something with graphics and computers or am I not remembering correctly a post of yours from a while ago?

12. Sam Hober

I am putting in a vote for the Maize and Blue of Michigan, that should make a sharp tie.
    Sounds like a good idea. What are your design thoughts?

13. Sam Hober

That Longhorn tie is fantastic. I may consider that for my first order. By the by, I really like the idea of college rep ties. I'm sure some of the colors will appeal to buyers even if they didn't go to the school. Just keep away from crests and the like!
    Chorse123, I am glad that you loved the Longhorn tie. No plans for crests.

14. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

Here's what the Penn tie looks like today.http://upenn.bkstore.com/images/imag...oduct_id=26671

Mine is from the mid eighties and I still wear it. It is a traditional repp weave, not what is shown in this picture. I love the fact that the tag on the back says The Bookstore.

I had one like this until some SOB stole it from my dorm room. Anyhow - I think equal widths would be BoRiNg. How about alternating widths? 1/4" red with a 1/2"blue with a 1/2" red and then a 1/4" red? It would be unique. And of course, once you get the tie down, don't forget bowties! I am sure I can get fellow members of the Penn Alumni Club here in Michigan on board. Hell, maybe we can get DaimlerChrylser Chairman Dieter Zietsche to wear one (his son is a junior in the Penn engineering school)

15. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thank you. Are you doing something with graphics and computers or am I not remembering correctly a post of yours from a while ago?
    I operate a web development firm, yes.