Help! College Colors for ties.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sam Hober, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sam Hober's newest project is weaving a series of silks with college colors. The first group of silks will probably have about a dozen designs and a sort of The making of a silk blog (where the evolution of the silk designs will be) is here: http://samhober.com/collegeties/collegeties.htm The selection and design of the silks will be an experimental project between Sam Hober and forum members. This should be fun. Thank you for your help, David

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I would suggest my alma mater, the University of Texas at Austin. As the largest school in the country you are assured a market.

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I'll buy a UVA tie David. I look forward to these...I would call up the schools and ask for the color numbers (Pantone?).

4. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

As the largest school in the country you are assured a market.

Yeah, but do they wear ties? I keed, I keed.

Actually the small longhorn logo on the orange background would be kinda natty.

5. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I root for Miami, thatd be an ugly repp tie!

6. Sam Hober

I would suggest my alma mater, the University of Texas at Austin. As the largest school in the country you are assured a market.
    Texas Jack, You are correct! We have a client who is a die-hard Longhorn fan. We wove a special silk for him a couple of months ago: http://www.samhober.com/store/The-Longhorn-c-315-p-17172.html

7. Sam Hober

I'll buy a UVA tie David. I look forward to these...I would call up the schools and ask for the color numbers (Pantone?).
    Artisan Fan, UVA is popular. Pantone colors could work, although I sort of like the idea of photographs. Then I match the photos to actually silk yarn when I making the design. I don't subscribe to Sports Illustrated but I could probably find a pile of back issues in a used book store.

8. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Texas Jack,

You are correct!

We have a client who is a die-hard Longhorn fan. We wove a special silk for him a couple of months ago:

http://www.samhober.com/store/The-Longhorn-c-315-p-17172.html

you say you wove the silk for that tie? Well if you did, you got the orange color wrong.

9. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

Don't ignore the other ivies (esp. MINE!): University of Pennsylvania

www.upenn.edu

and Univ. of Michigan (shout out to law school): Go blue!

10. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I root for Miami, thatd be an ugly repp tie!
    Even as a University of Miami alum, I too would find the means to resist an orange and green repp tie.

11. Sam Hober

you say you wove the silk for that tie? Well if you did, you got the orange color wrong.
    Colors are hard to get perfect but in this case in real life the silk is the correct color per Longhorn fans who have the tie. We often weave and dye silks ourselves by hand in Thailand on traditional looms. The Longhorn silk in the photo was woven for us in England using a burnt orange Thai silk as the sample. The silk came about by accident when our client was looking at the Thai silk and thinking about making a tie. He commented how the color was perfect for a Longhorn tie, one thing led to another and a couple of months later we made the silk. Here is some information that you might find interesting on how we make our silk: http://samhober.com/silkmaking/howtomakesilk.htm I would be happy to send you a swatch as computer monitors are often not accurate...

12. Sam Hober

Don't ignore the other ivies (esp. MINE!): University of Pennsylvania www.upenn.edu and Univ. of Michigan (shout out to law school): Go blue!
    Dirk Diggler, Thank you for the suggestions. If you are interested please let me know your ideas for the design(s). Thank you!

13. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

I'd definitely buy a Vanderbilt tie. The ones they sell in the bookstore are horrible. Colors are gold and black, though, so smaller stripes might look better.

14. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Penn seconded. I know of a few other alumni and student around these parts who would probably be interested, too. A smaller audience, I suppose, would go for Dartmouth; at least I'd want one. And if there is interest, Stanford, Harvard, or MIT ties would be very appreciated by me for gifts.

15. Sam Hober

I'd definitely buy a Vanderbilt tie. The ones they sell in the bookstore are horrible. Colors are gold and black, though, so smaller stripes might look better.
    Coachvu, Black and gold are good colors. When you have a moment please let me know how small you were thinking about for stripes. I understand what you mean about bookstore ties. Have no fear these ties will be fully bespoke like all of our ties. Length, width, shape & construction. The only challenge is getting the colors correct.