• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help! Coat appropriate for Chicago winter?

JFW1

New Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm moving to Chicago and February, will be living downtown, and will have a 15 minute walk to work. What is an appropriate, yet warm enough, coat to wear to work? I work at an accounting firm and wear business casual. Don't want to get into sweaters

I have a full length RL wool/cashmere coat, but it just isn't warm enough for when it is really windy and below 30.

I was thinking about a down filled coat from Patagonia or Mountain Hardwear, such as these:


http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-mens...n-jacket-black

http://www.zappos.com/product/7645331/color/3

What do you think about these options? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
19,771
Reaction score
2,702
like neither.
 

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
2,952
Reaction score
44
JFW1;3873331 I have a full length RL wool/cashmere coat said:
Below 30? or below -30? 30F isn't cold. If an overcoat is too cold for you at 30F you're going to spend most of the year inside
 

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
9,674
Reaction score
411
Originally Posted by Nicola
Below 30? or below -30? 30F isn't cold. If an overcoat is too cold for you at 30F you're going to spend most of the year inside


You've not experienced downtown Chicago winter winds then. COming from Minneosta I can agree that 30F isn't cold... until you hit those 40mph gales that blow through the loop and peel your hide off.
 

Vcook

Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2010
Messages
15
Reaction score
6
Adding a sweater and a scarf seems like the easiest solution, that's what I did for my brief walk from the train station over to my office this morning(temps in the teens in chicago this morning, windy), and what I'll do most of the season.
 

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
2,952
Reaction score
44
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
You've not experienced downtown Chicago winter winds then. COming from Minneosta I can agree that 30F isn't cold... until you hit those 40mph gales that blow through the loop and peel your hide off.

So what happens when it hits 0 and that wind is still blowing?
 

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
6,237
Reaction score
515
Originally Posted by Nicola
So what happens when it hits 0 and that wind is still blowing?

You take a cab door to door or you get an arctic parka. Oh and 0 with 40 mph winds isn't anywhere near as bad as it gets in Chicago. I remember a few days of -15 to -20 with gale winds coming off the lake. About 5 minutes of that and you'll have a new perspective of what cold is.
 

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
653
Canada Goose.
 

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
20,251
Reaction score
5,359
Don't get a short jacket. You will want to cover your rear.

Chicago might be the best place in the US to buy a nice, warm coat. They know what it is all about. Any chance you will visit there soon and can check out retailers for coats?
 

MrGoodBytes

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
412
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by Crane's
You take a cab door to door or you get an arctic parka. Oh and 0 with 40 mph winds isn't anywhere near as bad as it gets in Chicago. I remember a few days of -15 to -20 with gale winds coming off the lake. About 5 minutes of that and you'll have a new perspective of what cold is.

lol, today definitely was the first cold blast we've had to deal with. I really really wish I had brought a scarf.

hat, gloves, scarf and a warm sweater can get you through most of the winter. There are definitely some moments where it simply exceeds any reasonable efforts.
 

JFW1

New Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
@ pocketsquare guy: Yes, I will be visiting in two weeks for apartment shopping, and the trip can double for coat shopping. What do you suggest?

Let's say I can wear my current overcoat down to x degrees with scarf and gloves-without trying to argue the subjective topic of what is "cold." Once it gets too cold (for me) for the overcoat, is it acceptable to go with a down filled coat (non "bubble" style) and if not, what is a good alternative?

Thanks!
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
423
Originally Posted by JFW1
@ pocketsquare guy: Yes, I will be visiting in two weeks for apartment shopping, and the trip can double for coat shopping. What do you suggest?

Let's say I can wear my current overcoat down to x degrees with scarf and gloves-without trying to argue the subjective topic of what is "cold." Once it gets too cold (for me) for the overcoat, is it acceptable to go with a down filled coat (non "bubble" style) and if not, what is a good alternative?

Thanks!

There will be at least a few days when you, or anyone else for that matter, won't care how you look as long as you're warm. I'd certainly consider the down filled coat. Look around on your next trip to Chicago, you'll see lots of options to try on.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 81 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 155 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 79 16.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 40 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 28 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.8%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 1.9%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.7%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 28 5.9%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,565
Messages
9,201,027
Members
193,198
Latest member
scrnldp

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top