1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Help! Clueless man needs to buy suit(s)

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by njstone9, Mar 7, 2019.

1. njstone9

njstone9 New Member

I'm starting a job at an international school in Hong Kong in August and I want to look my best.

I know absolutely nothing about fashion. Zero.

I'm thinking of getting some bespoke suits and shirts made using tailors in Hong Kong.

What I need advice about now is how many items I realistically need to purchase.

I *presume* I don't need a different jacket for Monday to Friday. Would two suffice if I rotated them? Or would that not be enough for variety?

I have no clue about styles but I'd probably want each jacket to have different fashion features and looks and colours. Because I like variety.

How many shirts should I get? 10? Enough to last two weeks? Would it make a big difference if only some of these were custom made?

Same for trousers.

Given the weather in this part of the world (I live in Singapore now) I change my shirt and trousers daily but I don't ever wear a jacket.

Once I have an idea about numbers of items I can start to see what I can afford.

Really grateful for any advice.

2. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior Member

I'd start here: https://putthison.com/suggested-essentials-for-a-starting-wardrobe/

Two suits and 2 sportcoats would give you a decent rotation to start. Odd trousers in greys and browns to pair. I'd prioritze fit and material over "fashion features" but that's because classic menswear rules the roost here. If you can find some inspiration pictures of what you're looking for we can give better suggestions. 10 shirts sounds fine, custom made doesn't matter if you can find a good off-the-rack fit.

3. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior Member

4. njstone9

njstone9 New Member

Thank you very much! Greatly appreciated.