• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Buying Cufflinks off Ebay

Cognacad

Reaction score
Hello people,

I am looking to buy some "starter" cufflinks. I made a thread in WTB but nothing so far, so I figured I would look on ebay. I want some nice simple cufflinks to start me off. I typed cufflinks in and things such as this came up:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Silver-square-cuf...ht_4121wt_1014

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ORNATE-BLUE-ENAME...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.ca/STAINLESS-STEEL-R...d=p3286.c0.m14

Note that I just picked the first three that I saw that looked OK and were cheap.

It seems I can get some like this for 10$, is there any reason I wouldn't want to? Also, if you happen to be selling some send me a PM, not that this is the purpose of this topic since this is general discussion, just adding that in! :p

Thanks!

Jeremy S

Reaction score
The last ones are, IMO, the closest to decent. Look for something incredibly simple, even more so than those, if you are only going to get one pair for now. Or, you could buy a bunch of silk knot links in different colors, if you want to take that route. http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-Stainles...ht_2594wt_1165 not particularly nice, but simple. http://cgi.ebay.com/Brooks-Brothers-...#ht_500wt_1182 These would also do nicely, but you may not want to spend that much. In my experiences, you get what you pay for with cufflinks, in terms of materials, but there is no reason you cant find nice cufflinks for under $40. I do recall a horrible experience with a rental tux (This was in my pre-SF era). The cufflinks were so cheap, they bent instead of the little toggle part turning.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Ouch.

Thanks for those links.

I was more curious about actually buying cufflinks off ebay and not so much which ones, so I am assuming buying cufflinks off ebay is OK? Not a big faux pas?

fedora

Reaction score
Depending on where you are, one can find second-hand cufflinks similar to yours for $1/pair at flea markets.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cognacad
Ouch.

Thanks for those links.

I was more curious about actually buying cufflinks off ebay and not so much which ones, so I am assuming buying cufflinks off ebay is OK? Not a big faux pas?

Yes.

eBay is a great place however for buying good vintage cuff links. There are some rather good ones out there, but they tend to be picked up and purchased fairly quickly.

And avoid buying from sellers that have cheap knockoffs -- I've made my fair share of mistakes, of course.

As always, caveat emptor.

JohnShaft

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
eBay is a great place however for buying good vintage cuff links. There are some rather good ones out there, but they tend to be picked up and purchased fairly quickly.

And avoid buying from sellers that have cheap knockoffs -- I've made my fair share of mistakes, of course.

+1 The more vintage, the better. I've gotten a couple of 1930s-1940s sets for less than $50. One that came with shirt studs.

They were probably mid-range when they were new but now their quality well exceeds all but the better items.

Cognacad

Reaction score
Hmm... well I have no idea what a vintage cufflink would be or anything along the lines. Any guidance? Years? Brands? Materials?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads