• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help buying British shoes

slaavwmr

Reaction score
On the advice of Johnynorman3 I am going to ask for the experts help.

I would like to buy some new shoes. I am thinking of replacing my AE Park Avenues and AE Byrons with similar english shoes. I wear a 10.5D. The shoes have some room in them, but not enough to slip out or feel as if they were. Any suggestions would be appreciative. I would like to order online without going into a store to try on when I have no plans on buying.

Thanks

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
generally, british shoes run .5" larger than american. for a more reliable response, you have to disclose the shoe you're interested in purchasing, in addition to the size you wear in various popular makers, ie "i'm interested in purchasing a pair of C&J Weymouths, and wear a size 10.5D in AE, what size should I buy?"

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can wait, I'd advise you to wait until Bennies gets the new Grenson stock in. I found that the Grensons were a bit snugger in the heel and instep compared to a good American shoe like Alden or AE. Lots of terrific styles last time, and you can return them (minus reasonable shipping fee of $10).

If you were a 10.5 in AE, you will as a rule of thumb wear a 10 UK size, though in the last Grenson batch Bennies had, the shoes were given American sizes -- so you would have ordered a 10.5.

spatten

Reaction score
I have to agree with johnnynorman3 ... wait for the Grenson's from Bennies if you can. I ordered a pair and loved them - and I have been wearing AE for about 3 years. They are the best deal going at that price or even a bit higher. If thats not an option you can order online from pediwear.co.uk - check out the Crockett & Jones Handgrades and the Grenson Masterpieces. They are pricey
smile.gif
Enjoy, Scott

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The American "D" width is the equivalent to the UK "E" width. If you don't want to wait for Grensons from Bennie's, Scott is right that Pediwear (Carol Bentley) is a good source for Crockett & Jones internet mail orders. They have have some of the handgrade styles on sale at this time for 221 pounds after deducting VAT. Still, this is about $430 USD. http://www.pediwear.co.uk/stock.php?...ID=41&offset=6

Nonk

Reaction score
Watch out for Crockett and Jones sizing. I take UK size 10 in everything, or at least I thought so until I bought shoes from the C&J store, Jermyn Street. They routinely advertise their size 9.5 as size 10, and they were correct, they did fit me.

I have also found Alfred Sargent sizing to be quite generous, but not perhaps to half a size difference.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Since you're in the NJ/NY area I suggest you take a trip to NYC and visit a few stores to try some English shoes for fit.

Edward Green at Saks or Jay Kos
Crockett & Jones at Barneys
Grensons at Paul Stuart
Brooks Brothers carries English shoes as well though I'm confused ast to what brand.
Cheaney at Saks
Loake at Charles Tyrwhitt

They probably all have the standard cap-toe oxford in stock. This way you make sure whether you really like one model over the other and confirm your size.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
Since you're in the NJ/NY area I suggest you take a trip to NYC and visit a few stores to try some English shoes for fit.  

Edward Green at Saks or Jay Kos
Crockett & Jones at Barneys
Grensons at Paul Stuart
Brooks Brothers carries English shoes as well though I'm confused ast to what brand.
Cheaney at Saks
Loake at Charles Tyrwhitt

They probably all have the standard cap-toe oxford in stock.  This way you make sure whether you really like one model over the other and confirm your size.
Thanks for the advice. If I am not mistaken the stores in New York ave American sized shoes. I know Barneys does. Additionally, I don't have it in me to try on when I don't have any intention of buying.

I bought a pair Stuarts Choice during the recent sale of $190. I find them to be extremly compfortable. I would love to buy the captoe but $575 is pretty steep.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seize Sur Vingt also has a few shoes by Sargent IIRC.

Even though the sizes are sold in American sizes, you can find out the last information and English conversion by inspecting the sock liner. I usually forewarn the salespeople when I have no intention of buying, but gladly accept their cards and write the stock information from the sample shoes on the back. During sales season I''ll call to see if my favorite model is discounted and simply order by phone. I've found this method to save time and make shopping a much more pleasurable experience.

rayk

Reaction score
Another possibility for C&J handgrade shoes is PLal. Â I've bought six pairs over the past year. I take an 11D US and find that the 10.5E UK fit me very well. After you've made a few orders, shipping will probably be free. Â I now pay $397 for C&J handgrades, including shipping. Shyam Doshi is a true gentleman and will do everything possible to make you happy. One caveat, the wait can be frustrating. Â I believe that PLal's orders go out on the 25th of each month. Â If you place your order just prior to that date, you will probably have your shoes within a month. Â I've hit it wrong and waited nearly two months....but no complaints.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
After much research and thought I have narrowed my shoe choices to 5. As I said before I wear a 10.5D shoe in Allen Admonds:
1) EG Berkely
2) EG Chelsea
3) CJ Belgrave
4) CJ Audley
5) CJ Whitehall

Would both EG's fit the same and all 3 CJ's fit the same?

Thanks

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you'll probably read elsewhere as you search through the SF archives, it all comes down to the last. For Greens you can select the last that best fits your foot. For the C&Js you mention, the Whitehall is built on a different last than the Audley and Berkeley, I believe.

I wear a 9D in AE and I've found that for Greens I like the fitting properties of the 606 and the 888 in UK 8.5 E. The only handgrade C&Js I have are the Weymouths which are on the same last (337) as the Audley and Berkeley. For these I also wear UK 8.5 E.

Best of luck to you.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
As you'll probably read elsewhere as you search through the SF archives, it all comes down to the last. For Greens you can select the last that best fits your foot. For the C&Js you mention, the Whitehall is built on a different last than the Audley and Berkeley, I believe.

I wear a 9D in AE and I've found that for Greens I like the fitting properties of the 606 and the 888 in UK 8.5 E. The only handgrade C&Js I have are the Weymouths which are on the same last (337) as the Audley and Berkeley. For these I also wear UK 8.5 E.

Best of luck to you.
Does that mean the same shoes come in multiple lasts for EG? That's great. I am really trying to convince myself to get the EG's.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what makes the Greens so fantastic - you pick the style, last, size, and shade of leather. You may have to wait to have your order made up or get lucky if your purveyor has them in stock. Bear in mind that they are more expensive than C&J and will likely exceed the price point ($575) you cite below but you will get exactly the kind of shoe you want.

rayk

Reaction score
I'm sure that our shoe aficionados will correct me if I'm in error. Â
biggrin.gif
RTW EG shoes are available on stock lasts which are pretty much set, i.e. the Berkeley at Saks will be on the the 202 last. The following email from Susie Jones of EG explains the different programs very well:
Thank you for your enquiry concerning the availability of the Edward Green MTM service. Â I should perhaps explain this is not strictly speaking a MTM service, we come to the US several times throughout the year and visit the outlets that carry a selection of our shoes. Â Â Â This service in general enables customers who are not a stock width fitting to have their feet measured and then we match their measurements as closely as possible to one of our in house lasts. Â Sometimes we make minor adjustments to the last to accommodate a high instep or an enlarged toe joint etc. Â Stockists in the US tend only to carry a D width and sometimes an E fitting, Â therefore customers with feet that are either more narrow or wider than a D or E are unable to be fitted from stock. Â In the factory we carry lasts from an A fitting to a G in sizes from 4 to 14 so by measuring customers feet we are more often than not able to supply them with shoes that are the correct fitting. Â There is also the additional choice of leathers and models that are not carried as regular lines in the stores that customers are able to see when we visit. Â The price increase for this service over the ready to wear shoes is approximately $150- $300 rather depending on the amount or work that is involved. The truly bespoke service is totally different because we make an individual last to the measurements of each customer. Â They are free to choose any design and select leathers that are not available for the ready to wear or MTM shoes. Â The bespoke shoes are also made in a different way totally by hand and are structurally completely different. Â This is reflected in the price which begins around $2,500. Â
If you are willing to spend the extra money, this special order program would seem ideal for one who wants the best but is unwilling to spend $2500 to $3000 for the full bespoke service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads