• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help breaking in Alden chukkas

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
I got a pair of Alden chukkas (not the unlined suede ones, but the fully lined leather ones on the barrie last with the rubber lug soles). The back of the chukka digs into the back of my ankle like a razor and causes terrible blisters. Is there a way I can speed up the break in process? (Soak the back of the boots in water to soften the leather? Twist the back of the boots with vise grip pliers to break the leather fibers and soften the leather?) Or is this chukka simply not compatible with my feet?

Bostonfellow

Reaction score
I had precisely the same problem with some leather-lined Timberland chukkas a while back. I wore a second, heavy sock with them for a while. That served the dual purpose of protecting my heel and stretching the shoe somewhat. After a few weeks of wearing that way, they were OK with normal sock.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlonzoMosely
Or is this chukka simply not compatible with my feet?

could be possible.

Rusty G.

Reaction score
You might try something like a bandaid and thick socks for a while until the leather becomes more pliable. However, it may be that the shoe is not a good design for your feet/ankle.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Barrie last has always fit me well from day one regardless of whether it's a boot or shoe on the last.

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
I think I will try the band aid suggestion (after my current blisters heal) before I start taking tools to the boot.

For some reason, I can never get a Barrie last that fits me. Tried 13d and 12d. These particular ones are a 12.5c and they felt pretty good in the store but now I have this blister problem... Wish Alden made casual shoes on the Hampton last.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^The Hampton is my favorite and most comfortable Alden last. I also wish more shoes would be available on that last.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
^^^The Plaza is my favorite and most comfortable Alden last. I also wish more shoes would be available on that last.
fixed it for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads