• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help blackplatano pick out a HDTV and Audio system!!!

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to get a new HDTV. My budget is around $1000-$1500 more or less. I will be connecting the TV to a playstation 3, so it must be good for games and blu-ray movies. What's the best i can do in my price range?

Also, I want to get some surround sound speakers to go with the TV. I know you can go crazy with audio, but without getting carried away, what's the best bang for the buck in surround sound?

Thanks

humza

Reaction score
How big are you looking for? If you go for 40 inches, you can get style and quality, if you try to go for 46inches, you may sacrifice both with that price range. I'd recommend Sony or Samsung if you're going for LCD (which I would recommend for games). You can pick up some new Sony or Samsung 40" 1080p displays for $1100, and some higher end ones (from Sony and Samsung) for about $1400. As for sound systems, I don't know **** about them. I'm actually looking for a 5.1 channel surround sound myself, so any help is appreciated!
inlove.gif

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Early this summer I bought last-year's Sony 46" LCD (46V3000) for $1200, give or take, and I love it. I'm not a huge videophile so it's possible that others are better, but it has a nice thin bezel and the colors look really great.

How much are you willing to spend on the audio?

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
Early this summer I bought last-year's Sony 46" LCD (46V3000) for $1200, give or take, and I love it. I'm not a huge videophile so it's possible that others are better, but it has a nice thin bezel and the colors look really great.

How much are you willing to spend on the audio?

Not much. With all the other expenses, I will not splurge on audio. i just want something nice for watching movies.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
The cheapest you could probably get away with is to buy three pairs of those Insignia KEF Q-series knockoffs from Best Buy ($75/pr I think), look on Craigslist for a decent used sub (Velodynes are always a safe bet; the Deon Bearden-designed Klipsches aren't have bad), and buy a cheap receiver. If you want better audio quality, consider looking for a closeout Onkyo 705 receiver, because that's the cheapest one around with Audyssey's best room correction technology.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had similar priorities (Blu-Rays, upscaled DVDs, HDTV, & some PS3 games) and picked up this Sharp a few months back based on many reviews. We've been very happy with it. From all accounts, the picture quality was considered the best, or among them, in the price range. The sound is rubbish, but I assume you wouldn't use the TV speakers anyway.

But the best feature of this one is the ultra slim design, both in terms of width from front to back and in the width of the frame around the screen. To me, it's far more attractive than what the other manufacturers are offering and also takes up less space, which is important if you're living in a small apartment and/or have a minimalist aesthetic.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Get a discountinued SXRD 50" Sony and spend $200 ona BluRay player.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to buy blu-ray because I plan on just using the PS3. I assume the PS3 makes a good blu-ray player. Am I correct?

Also, I don't know much about home theater. Most of the systems I see consist of a DVD and 5 small speakers. I don't want a DVD because I plan on using the PS3, but I do want some speakers I can spread across the room. Can those sets of speakers do a 1080P blu-ray movie justice? Also, is a receiver needed?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
I don't want to buy blu-ray because I plan on just using the PS3. I assume the PS3 makes a good blu-ray player. Am I correct?

Also, I don't know much about home theater. Most of the systems I see consist of a DVD and 5 small speakers. I don't want a DVD because I plan on using the PS3, but I do want some speakers I can spread across the room. Can those sets of speakers do a 1080P blu-ray movie justice? Also, is a receiver needed?

Yes, the PS3 is a terrific BluRay player. Spend the money on some audio engine speakers then and an iPod.

You don't need 5.1 unless you have a big room but I find surround sound very overrated to be honest.

humza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano

You will need a receiver if you plan on listening to Blu-Rays through a speaker system. Receivers can run from 199-899, so keep that in mind. You can however find "home theaters in a box" (i.e 5 speakers and one receiver) at a cheaper price than buying each separately. However, you may sacrifice overall quality with that approach. Most 5.1 channel receivers can be upgraded to 7.1, with the purchase of 2 additional speakers. I keep hearing that 7.1 isn't all THAT great/worth the money, so I don't know about that.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
If you're looking for an HTIB thing, the KEF KIT 100 is elegant looking and only has two speakers, but might be out of your price range. Jamo has one that's not half bad either, and is very compact. Here's the model I'm thinking of on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Jamo-Danish-Soun...d=p3286.c0.m14 Not very flexible, but easy to set up and looks much more expensive than it is. The remote is also hefty-feeling and elegant. I put one of these systems in my mother's bedroom and she is happy with it. Dynamic range is crap, but that's to be expected with 3.5" coaxes and a small subwoofer. For what it is, it sounds decent. It will sound much better than most "home theater" speaker packages simply because the center channel is reasonably designed rather than being one of those always sucktacular horizontal midrange-tweeter-midrange arrays. (Avoid any speaker set that uses a "toppled MTM" for the center channel. Physics dictate that they all suck.)

humza

Reaction score
I'm actually thinking of getting this one:
HSa270st.jpg
Samsung HS-AS720ST I have a Samsung 46" and I went in personally to Best Buy to test it out (turns out it was being demo'd with the exact same TV I have) and the sound is great, and i really like the style of it all.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Get a discountinued SXRD 50" Sony and spend $200 ona BluRay player.

The XRD engine is as good as it gets, and I am not just saying that because my wife works for Sony and we get great discounts. Home theater in a box sucks gigantic balls. If you are going to get one, don't spend more than $500 and get any recognizable brand that is on sale because they are all pretty much the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads