• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! Already overwhelmed

Phaenon

Reaction score
I discovered this forum by accident, glad I did. I need some help, desperately.

I have been working in causal dressed companies for over a decade and have lost all sense of style. Not that I had much to begin with. Now I am taking a job where first time I have to wear formal clothes. I haven't really shopped anywhere except a Macy's, JoS AB, Express etc. But need some advice getting started with a more formal wardrobe. Need at least a couple suits, a casual jacket, a few shirts and a good pair of shoes. Problem is I am on budget as I have to pretty much overhaul the wardrobe. There is too much info here to process, then again while a bunch of people have posted photos of how good they look, I don't even know what would look good on me. So here are the questions:

1. Where do I shop as a beginner and know I am getting good starter clothing?
2. Is there any place (not Nordstrom) where I can actually get someone to style me/help me?

Thanks!

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Head to Spier & Mackay before the sales end.
Tremendous bang for the buck...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Macy’s or JAB, seeing as how you’re on a budget. You just need a few basics and then go from there.

JackEst3

Reaction score
Some more precise info on your budget as well as location might help for shopping advice.
Maybe also body type (height, build etc)

Although you seem to be in the USA, so that should be a decent start, considering many members here are from there and will be familiar with the brands.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, need more information on your specific budget and your height, weight, build. Where do you live and will you be in an air-conditioned office, or will you also need to be outside on a regular basis (and if so, what will temps looks like)?

A basic wardrobe for you will look like:

single-breasted navy notch lapel suit
single-breasted medium grey or dark grey notch lapel suit
navy blazer/sportcoat
light blue shirts
a white shirt or two
2-3 pairs of shoes (you will wear out one pair of shoes faster if you wear it every day; leather shoes should get at least a day of rest in shoe trees to dry out between wears)

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I discovered this forum by accident, glad I did. I need some help, desperately.

I have been working in causal dressed companies for over a decade and have lost all sense of style. Not that I had much to begin with. Now I am taking a job where first time I have to wear formal clothes. I haven't really shopped anywhere except a Macy's, JoS AB, Express etc. But need some advice getting started with a more formal wardrobe. Need at least a couple suits, a casual jacket, a few shirts and a good pair of shoes. Problem is I am on budget as I have to pretty much overhaul the wardrobe. There is too much info here to process, then again while a bunch of people have posted photos of how good they look, I don't even know what would look good on me. So here are the questions:

1. Where do I shop as a beginner and know I am getting good starter clothing?
2. Is there any place (not Nordstrom) where I can actually get someone to style me/help me?

Thanks!
Agree with @mhip regarding Spier & Mackay being good bang for the buck. I dont have experience other than suits and sport coats from them but very satisfactory.
You're going to want at least one navy suit and perhaps a medium grey or charcoal. White and light blue shirt.

I will also tell you when they have their deep discount sales (one just ended) you can get some very high quality clothing
inexpensively at Saks off Fifth. Much better deals, quality, and selection than Nordstrom Rack.
They often run sales on Ermenegildo Zegna made in Italy suits with their name brand. As cheap as Josef Banks and much better quality and fit. Around $200-$300. Good starter suits.
Also if you are a Shop Runner member you get free 2 day shipping. If you spend over $100 shipping is free.

Phaenon

Reaction score
Thanks for the info:

A few things:

1. Mostly inside - air conditioned office but travel to APAC frequently so might be in hot humid weather.

2. Height is 5'10 avg build. Usually wear S (14 1/2 -15 US collar shirts). Given covid gained about 10lbs

3. Coat usually 36R works best otherwise is too baggy on US38r from waist area.

4. Saw a Saks off 5th suit with Zegna cloth but in guess they don't use any canvas?

5. Have shoprunner.

6. Budget around $2k for wardrobe.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info:

A few things:

1. Mostly inside - air conditioned office but travel to APAC frequently so might be in hot humid weather.

2. Height is 5'10 avg build. Usually wear S (14 1/2 -15 US collar shirts). Given covid gained about 10lbs

4. Saw a Saks off 5th suit with Zegna cloth but in guess they don't use any canvas?

5. Have shoprunner.

OK. 2K to work with. I've gotten Canali and Corneliani dress shirts on sale for $55 tp $90. Also look at Eton shirts when on sale. About $60 to $85 for dress - non iron shirts.
I just got this tie for $77 and its high quality and perfect for the office.

Regarding the suits
This was months ago but I bought it for $400
Half canvassed.

And I stole this on sale for under $300 less than year ago
Half canvassed.

All Saks off Fifth.
Patience pays because they often have BOGO suit, pants, and shirt sales and you can keep one, return one, and still pay 50%.
Sometimes they'll have 50 or 60% off with an additional 20 - 25%.

Those made fo Saks Zegna suits have a fused canvas.

JackEst3

Reaction score
Ok, your starting point is fairly good. Luckily, you seem quite easy to fit off the rack.

For suits, Spier&Mackay, Suitsupply and Saks off Fifth, as others have mentioned, are good choices. Start with plain navy and grey suits. A mid-grey or navy could be worn as separates, but if you want a more smart casual sport coat, go for a small pattern like herringbone or a small check in grey, brown or blue.

Consider around 400-500 USD for a suit (less if can buy on sale which seem to be currently happening), at this price point you'll find 100% wool fabrics and half-canvas construction.

As for shirts, the brands already mentioned are good choices. Charles Tyrwhitt has some kind of sales and or bundle-buy offers on constantly and they offer a good variety of sizes and fits.

Start with plain white an light blue shirts, maybe some fine stripes as well. Build up a rotation that can last you for a laundry cycle, so you can change shirts every day. This is why these multi-buy offers can come in handy.

Decent shirts should be available at around the 50 USD price point, or 30 on sale.

Pick up a few ties in simple patterns and you can rotate them around a few suits without looking boring.

Shoes are often overlooked when building wardrobes, but it's worth to invest a bit to get a good quality make and nice leather. At around the 300-400 USD price point you can find Blake stitched or Goodyear welted shoes made of decent leather at places like Allen Edmonds, Meermin, etc. For a few hundred more, you can get Alden of Crockett and Jones.

Start with a few pairs of oxfords or derbies: one black (for dark suits and formal occasions and dark suits) and a few in shades of borwn and burgundy.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info:

A few things:

5. Have shoprunner.

The Boglioli I "stole"

fullsizeoutput_35a.jpeg

The second pic I p[osted this morning on another Styleforum thread and its made for Saks (in Italy) with Zenga fabric.
Hope this helps you.
fullsizeoutput_359.jpeg

Phaenon

Reaction score
I don't know if I should be more amazed by your suit or the marble floors.

In all seriousness, I can't tell much difference in the suit aside from the waist area. What an I missing?

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I should be more amazed by your suit or the marble floors.

In all seriousness, I can't tell much difference in the suit aside from the waist area. What an I missing?
They are very similar and frankly nobody can look at the two suits and know one is fused and one is half canvassed.
The Boglioli is less structured. And their patterns are a bit different.
That is old 8x8 Carrera marble. You have a good eye.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Boglioli I "stole"

The second pic I p[osted this morning on another Styleforum thread and its made for Saks (in Italy) with Zenga fabric.
Hope this helps you.
I like the fabrics. The first is quite short on you, even if you are looking for a more modern fit.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Res

Reaction score
I would not buy from Spier & Mackay, their quality is a hit or miss and customer service is atrocious. One of my friends purchased a couple of shirts and one of the shirts had a big tear around the arm pit area, when he contacted customer service they basically said it wasn't their fault and that next time he should pay for insurance.. he then waited a week or so and contacted them again to vent his frustrations or something and they basically said "they could have done something, but he waited to long to report it." Yeah.. another bs excuse.

Forget JAB too, with that budget go to Saks off 5th, find a deal, buy two good suits (navy/medium or charcoal grey suits) which will grant you plenty versatility then you can cheap out on the shirts, then when you get enough money buy quality shirts and accessories. You will have two great suits in the meantime, which will last you a long while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads