• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help a noob day...

zeero3

Reaction score
Background: Bought a suit for a wedding a month ago (Joseph Abboud 2b sidevents if it matters). Ok it was the first suit I ever bought, but I caught the bug. Always wanted to have suits in the wardrobe and I'm hooked and it's time.

Ok, so I went to a tailor here in San Fran that was recommended by my Uncle (only because it's where he's taken his suits, not cuz it's THE place to go). I went by myself (which was a mistake) and went with SUPER basic knowledge (pre SF). Hemmed pants, brought in waist of jacket for fit, and had cuffs raised a bit.

Blah blah, the question:

When at the tailor I basically "let him do his thing" in so many words. And he did a little more and it SEEMS the jacket cuffs were narrowed. I already know I'm gonna be flamed for not knowing all my homework, but hey I had my cherry popped and got taken advantage of--lesson learned.

My question is, and yes I searched the forum about cuffs and want to ask:

When wearing the jacket w/ barrell cuffs, feels fine. When wearing w/ french cuffs, the jacket gets "stuffed" and sleeves don't fall back down--I almost have to sort of "reset" the cuffs when wearing french cuff shirts. Is this a common problem when wearing those cuffs? I want to stay away from FCs most of the time anyway, but when I want to wear em w/ this jacket, it might feel a little uncomfortable/insecure.

Are pics necessary?

Thanks so much in advance, I love this forum!!!!

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
French cuffs shouldn't get caught up in the sleeves of your suit, no. Pictures would help!

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
perhaps you need tighter french cuffs.
smile.gif
pics would help

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if you're happy with the way the suit fits and most of your shirts are barrel... then just get smaller french cuffs or don't wear them that often. personally, I actually like my jacket sleeve ends a bit trimmer instead of the usual flair. PS - isn't "help a noob day" pretty much every day on SF?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the odds that a tailor would narrow your suit sleeves without you asking for it is 2%. Maybe 2.2%

zeero3

Reaction score
You can see the size of the cuff (I have pretty skinny wrists btw) when wearing the shirt only.

After the jacket is on you can see how stuffy the FC is in the sleeve.

And the last pic shows what the jacket looks like after I let my arm hang straight down after having it bent in front of me as was in the previous picture.

Attachment 14855

Attachment 14856

Attachment 14857

zeero3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
if you're happy with the way the suit fits and most of your shirts are barrel... then just get smaller french cuffs or don't wear them that often. personally, I actually like my jacket sleeve ends a bit trimmer instead of the usual flair.

PS - isn't "help a noob day" pretty much every day on SF?

I AM more happy w/ barrel cuffs and don't plan on buying any more FCs.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me first caveat my comments by stating I am a noob as well. My .02 bytes of opinion, based solely on absorbing knowledge here at SF, would be that the fc's are way too big for your arm/wrist.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Let me first caveat my comments by stating I am a noob as well. My .02 bytes of opinion, based solely on absorbing knowledge here at SF, would be that the fc's are way too big for your arm/wrist.

+1, I think that's just it. The FC's you've got there are too bulky for you. doesn't mean FC's are not an option for you, just maybe not those ones...

PS - look into single cuffs... they're convertible between buttoned barrel-style and single french. less bulky, flexible, and interesting. You won't find them OTR, probably only MTM, and not that common.

zeero3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
+1, I think that's just it. The FC's you've got there are too bulky for you. doesn't mean FC's are not an option for you, just maybe not those ones...

PS - look into single cuffs... they're convertible between buttoned barrel-style and single french. less bulky, flexible, and interesting. You won't find them OTR, probably only MTM, and not that common.

I haven't looked into button-down shirts for long, but I already have been wanting a shirt w/ single cuffs. Thanks for your help....

zeero3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by koolhistorian
Cuffs way to big for your hand! Change the maker!

I totally agree. I'm slim: 5'6" 140lbs and have small wrists. The shirt is Club Room and those cuffs definitely look too big. Thanks for the advice. Next time I look into FCs (and that will be a while) I'll definitely make sure to pay more attention to the size of the cuffs.

zeero3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Fault is with the shirt. Those cuffs are just way too big.

I agree, but does that mean you think the sleeve size of the jacket is fine?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket sleeve looks completely average size, the shirt cuff looks completely gargantuan size

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads