• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help a newbie upgrade dress shoes please:)

Luvwine

Reaction score
I have enjoyed going up the food chain,so to speak, in suits (started with Hickey Freeman, moved to Oxxford off the rack, now buy custom made), shirts (from Lands End to Robert Talbott to custom), watches (from none to a Breitling to a Lange 1), etc. However, in my dress shoes I gravitated to Allen Edmonds Park Avenue (have three pair). While I like the cap toe as it is versatile enough for me to wear to court (am a trial lawyer) but I can pair it with a tux and not feel out of place, I am no longer enamored with the comfort of the Park Avenue. The burgundy color pair is actually quite comfy, but the black pair I bought about a year ago is still stiff feeling to me and I just don't like it as much as the burgundy pair (I have read that the black leather is stiffer for whatever reason) and an older black pair I still have. I don't have any brown dress shoes (and am tempted but have not pulled the trigger yet). I am not opposed to going up in price, but I need some recommendations as to what might be a good replacement for my purposes. I would like something fairly conservative, but not too stodgy (not a huge fan of the AE ornate wingtip models) and prefer a plainer look but don't want something flashy like some Italian makes I have seen. My size is fairly common (11D). I did try Alden, but the fit was poor (10.5 too tight and 11 seemed a roomy and the arch hit my foot strangely. Any suggestions for brands that might work? I am in Atlanta so the selection is not what it is in NYC or London, but I do go to NYC some and can shop there if needed. I did notice that John Lobb is coming to Atlanta this month, but I don't know that I can swallow $3600 a pair for custom Lobbs (tho if my wife buys an Armani jacket she has been eyeing, I might change my mind!) Anyway, thanks for any suggestions. Please forgive me if this topic has been covered a lot....

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Indeed this topic has been beaten to death, use the search facility and you will dig up all the info you need. In fact they have a thread dedicated to just dress shoes, go to the next page if you cant find it on the first. There is more info there than I can possibly tell you.

Yachting Man

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum. Indeed this topic has been beaten to death, use the search facility and you will dig up all the info you need. In fact they have a thread dedicated to just dress shoes, go to the next page if you cant find it on the first. There is more info there than I can possibly tell you.

This, but to give you some guidance.

Edward Green RTW runs around 1000 usd if I recall. I have several pairs and am very pleased with how they have held up and their comfort level.

Many here on SF praise Vass. I have never owned a pair, but you'll find plenty of reviews on these forums for them.

Dig around on the forums, you'll find plenty on this topic. We beat it to death.

Btw, welcome to the forum!

Luvwine

Reaction score
Thanks much. Will look at EG and maybe JL if I can find some RTW as $1,000 or a bit more is okay, Thanks and sorry to post a common question.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might try GJ Cleverley RTW - very good in my opinion.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am in Atlanta so the selection is not what it is in NYC or London, but I do go to NYC some and can shop there if needed. I did notice that John Lobb is coming to Atlanta this month, but I don't know that I can swallow $3600 a pair for custom Lobbs...
first: fit is paramount as you have already recognized. visit leffot in nyc. they have a wide selection of good shoes from all over the world. they also have trunk shows on a regular basis. never heard of this price point for lobbs, anyway. have a look. imo, every bit of experience is golden in your current situation.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You might try GJ Cleverley RTW - very good in my opinion.

imo, he needs an opportunity to try them on. dunno if leffot is carrying them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads