1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help a college kid build a suit and shirt!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shadowsnuzzy, Jun 24, 2013.

1. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Well, best of luck ...

But just remember that your business meetings, conferences, and interviews will probably be with people older than you and you're going to look really foolish to them in a lot of cases.

Nothing wrong with a 3" tie at all - ditto lapels. It doesn't need to be full scale Tom Ford and it doesn't need to be Joel McHale stupid skinny.

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

At some point, the issue with the immature look is that your clothes get noticed more than you. Regardless of age, you want to be the guy who looks damn good and not have details of your outfit be a distraction. The super skinny lapel and skinny tie look calls a lot of attention to itself. I've never heard someone comment about how someone looks old because they wear a 3.5 inch tie which is a pretty normal tie width; I have heard many comments on skinny ties and most not so positive. If you must, look at something that is 3 to 3.25 inches wide. I've probably worn classic proportions since I was 18 and never had an issue with it (and frankly, at 18 looking a bit older has its advantages professionally and personally). Young people often think (mistakenly) that they have to do something to classic menswear to not look out of place in it when nothing could be further from the truth. That's a symptom that the clothes wear you rather than you wearing the clothes and you don't want that.

3. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Word!

5. shadowsnuzzy

shadowsnuzzy Well-Known Member

A lot to think about here. I never considered my ties too skinny, and upon further inspection I realized most of my ties are, in fact, 3". I do agree that the super skinny ones look terrible, but I don't consider my ties to be in that category.

For the collar, should I go the "traditional point collar" or Semi-spread?

6. archibaldleach

I'd go with semi-spread. It looks better, lets the collar points be hidden by the lapels of your jacket and gives you more space to tie your tie knot (and point collars look really weird unbuttoned and without a tie IMO) whereas semi-spread does not look as bad in more casual contexts (I hate button down collars but many well dressed men do like them for casual settings). IMO 3 inch wide ties are on the skinny end but not obscenely so. Definitely much better than 2.5.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, essentially get any collar that the points go underneath the lapels of the jacket. Seeing points when then jacket is buttoned looks a bit slovenly.

8. shadowsnuzzy

shadowsnuzzy Well-Known Member

Also, you said if the knots are small then they are cheap ties. Doesn't the material play a huge role? Pretty much all my ties are from the tiebar (yes I know not the best quality but great value), and some of their cotton/linen ones I have make very small FIH knots while their fake grenadine silk ties make excellent sized knots. Is it even possible to get a good sized knot from a cotton tie? I was under the impression that the quality of a tie is determined by the stitching and material, both of which are not good, but decent, for tiebar.

9. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Quality plays a part, but so does the material. A think heavy silk will tend to make a bigger knot, and so will a wider tie or where the tie begins to widen. I have cotton and linen ties that make a good sized knot.

10. archibaldleach

This. Also some ties use more wool interlining which can also help make a thicker knot.