• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Helmut lang

Maxim

Reaction score
What's the fit of Helmut Lang's clothing like his jackets, and suits? Slim side or what? Also what's the quality?

Like compared to Comme des Garcons, Costume National, etc. Thanks.

VWpete

Reaction score
Alot slimmer than Comme Des (Japanese tend to cut bigger to allow the clothes movement and drape). Costume is fairly similar. It's quite nice in quality. I have basics that I've had for years from Helmut. Suits are beautiful for a slim guy like me. I wear this a Dior Homme for the best fit. The jeans are a great staple in your wardrobe.

Maxim

Reaction score
So their things are slimmer than other designers? Kind of like Dior Homme? Thanks.

VWpete

Reaction score
Not quite as extreme as dior homme. I think Helmut's right on w/ Prada, Miu Miu... They are on the smaller end of the spectrum. I'm not sure i'm helping much with my description. Let see. I am a Helmut Paul Smith, Dolce, Helmut 38 in suits and a 40 in Dior Homme blazers. I recommend trying it on and feel it out yourself. Sizing is very personal.

bryce330

Reaction score
At least for suits, Helmut Lang is fairly slim, but not nearly as much as Dior, and HL is also notably less slim than Prada or Costume National. I can easily wear a 52 in Helmut Lang but I need a 54 in the others.

Helmut Lang shirts are cut extremely slim, however, especially in the back and shoulders.

bvlin

Reaction score
I just bought a nice black HL suit through yoox and it fits relatively well. I have a fairly athletic build with broad shoulders and typically wear a size 46R. The HL suit is in size 46 also and it fits fine throughout the chest and shoulders, though it is still a little big around the waist.

This leads me to a question of my own though. This is my first lightweight suit and I've noticed that there is a little bit of extra material on the upper back between my shoulder blades. It just seems to bunch up a bit back there. Is this a problem that a tailor will be able to fix?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean just a bit below the neck? I'm not sure.

FCS

Reaction score
This leads me to a question of my own though. This is my first lightweight suit and I've noticed that there is a little bit of extra material on the upper back between my shoulder blades. It just seems to bunch up a bit back there. Is this a problem that a tailor will be able to fix?

Shouldn't be hard to fix, I have that problem too with most suits that I have tried on. Most salespeople and alteration guys told me that it is because of my square shoulder.

Now, to what extent that alteration affects the balance of the suit, I have no idea. Perhaps our resident suit experts could clarify that.

High_Roller

Reaction score
Well, I have a HL question now. What do the prices compare to? I've heard too many varying answers. I don't know who to believe.

bvlin

Reaction score
Well, I have a HL question now. What do the prices compare to? I've heard too many varying answers. I don't know who to believe.
Mine cost $362, marked down from an original price of $723.

High_Roller

Reaction score
A whole suit? That's not as bad as I thought. I'm in love with a punky jacket from the s/s collection that I feel inclined to purchase in Paris. Don't worry. It's not one of those shiny silver ones.

bvlin

Reaction score
You mean just a bit below the neck? I'm not sure.
Yeah. It seems like something that a tailor would be able to fix, though it would be nice to get someone else's opinion on the matter before I go and get everything tailored.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wasn't Helmut Lang bought by Prada? I seem to recall that the brands bought by Prada declined in quality i.e. Jil Sander.

When did they actually acquire Lang?

Joe G

Reaction score
Wasn't Helmut Lang bought by Prada? I seem to recall that the brands bought by Prada declined in quality i.e. Jil Sander.

When did they actually acquire Lang?
I believe the deleterous effects of the Prada anschluss began around the 2000 season. At least, that's when I noticed materials and tailoring quality taking a nose-dive.

Peace,

JG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads