• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Helmut Lang Prices?? Help!

Patriotsgrrl

Reaction score
Does anyone know the price range for Helmut Lang Men's Sport Coats??? I have two that I need to price for my store and I can't find anything to compare them to on the Web.

HHD

Reaction score
The relaunched collection (which has nothing to do with Lang himself) or original Helmut Lang, from 1986-2003/4, which probably counts as vintage by now?

It's my understanding that the relaunched range is cheaper than the original, though I haven't seen it so can't help there. However, the original line was around 20-30 percent cheaper than Prada, so if you can find prices for the Prada equivalents you can work from that. I think I paid around 500 euros for a Helmut Lang suit around 1999.

Patriotsgrrl

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply. I'll try looking for Prada. I suppose I could call also Louis Boston since that's where they're from. Thanks again! Gia

CutandSew

Reaction score
Do you have any pics of the labels? The older Helmut Langs were made in Italy and were priced lower than Prada (which once owned the Helmut Lang brand). The new stuff is not made in Italy, and is priced in the same range as the stuff from Theory (now the current owners of the brand). The new stuff will say Helmut Lang New York on it, whereas the older (and possibly 'better' ones) only had the name Helmut Lang on the label. The old brand was trying to compete in the designer luxury segment, whereas the new one is competing in the contemporary sportwear market, two very different animals in terms of retail. I know a bit about the current company having worked for them recently so if you have any more questions, please PM me.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pre-Prada Lang was made by Gibo, and more expensive than the Prada-produced stuff. As such, the current incarnation of lang is, literally, only half what it once was.
frown.gif

Patriotsgrrl

Reaction score
Wow, that is so good to know. They both say made in Italy. Yes, I do have pics of both. I'll try to post them on here...They are such beautiful jackets, I thought for sure it would be the new line because they look brand new. The Black Jacket is 100% Cashmere and the Gray is Wool. Thanks again for all the help.... you guys are great! Gia
2829188.jpg

2829189.jpg

2829190.jpg

2829191.jpg

2829192.jpg

2829193.jpg

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both are Prada-era Lang. As for pricing... $150-250 maybe, depending on their condition. Retail was maybe $1000-1500, maybe a little more for the cashmere one.

Now, if you had the copper-leather jacket or some of the classic pieces, that's different and they are quite sought after and fetch high $$$. But, these are fairly standard, produced probably 2000-2003 or so.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patriotsgrrl
Thank you.... So I should price the Wool at $200 and the Cashmere at $300??

I don't think that sounds outrageous... but you may not get that much for them. Just depends on the market. Unfortunately, Lang tends to be desired most by hardcore Lang fans, and most of them already have a closet full of black/gray jackets and blazers! He tends not to have the name recognition of Prada, Gucci, etc. and only really is in demand for the rarer runway items (handcuff bracelets, rope jackets, copper and gold leathers, etc.)

In any case, I'd list them at that and see what happens. If you get no takers, you can always lower the price. Good luck!

Patriotsgrrl

Reaction score
And now that you mention it..... I also have a brand new Linen Prada sport coat, that I didn't price high at all. I thought Helmut Lang was much better than that. Apparently, I better start researching better. lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads