• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello, My Name Is... (I bought my first pair of expensive shoes!)

heard546

Reaction score
You made a nice investment that should last you for many years to come. The Zegna shoes are outstanding, and will enhance your wardrobe.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Es may or may not be to one's taste, but they are not bad for your feet, not any more than other shoes.

Take some time to read some of the past threads (there are lots) on shoes. Read through the shoe acquisition thread. You'll start to get a feel for it.

"the individual is foolish. The multitude is foolish; but the species is wise..." --Edmund Burke

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MC summarized it nicely IMO. I've made expensive shoe purchases over the past few years that I would not repeat. But I just chalk it up to living and learning. If the OP enjoys his shoes, great. As others have mentioned, read through SF shoe threads and you'll be even further ahead.

habitue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
IIRC the lack of a metal shank does not in any way impact the comfort of the shoe or do any extra harm to your feet.

It does not affect the comfort of the shoe but in the long run it won't give your feet the support they need. Run arround your whole life in sneakers and the same thing will happen. Only if you have a perfect set of feet it won't impact you.

Of course there is nothing to say against a pair or more of AE as part of the rotation.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by habituÃ
00a9.png
It does not affect the comfort of the shoe but in the long run it won't give your feet the support they need. Run arround your whole life in sneakers and the same thing will happen. Only if you have a perfect set of feet it won't impact you.

Of course there is nothing to say against a pair or more of AE as part of the rotation.

I'm not so sure I buy this... the concept that your feet "need" steel shanks.

The human foot was designed to need nothing besides itself. Shoes have been useful coverings for millenia, but the steel shank is so recent an invention I can't imagine the species ever required it before, and I can't imagine the species has evolved to rely on it.

The science that goes into a pair of sneakers is well beyond the science used to create a pair of Lobbs.

habitue

Reaction score
The human foot was designed to need nothing besides itself.
Sure. But most certainly not for walking the whole day on concrete either, not to speak about longer life and higher weight. Most modern men have some sort of foot defects that might cause problems as they become older. Often this has to do with wrong footwear during childhood - where we should have walked the whole day on grass. A good mixture between using the muscles of the feet and support is essential.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Wow! I know I'm new, but I'm surprised by how many responses in only half a day. This is definitely an active board. I like it already.
smile.gif

I wore the Zegna's yesterday and am now wearing the Bosses at this moment. I was very impressed with the comfort of the Zegna's from the moment I tried them on for the first time. In fact, I knew they'd be incredibly comfortable before I even put my foot on the floor. They managed to impress after a full day's wear yesterday.

As for the Bosses, I should give them a full day's wear before I pass judgement, but I can report "so far, so good".
smile.gif
They're not as comfortable as the Zegna's, but that's testament to the Zegna's themselves. These are definitely comfortable shoes in their own right and more comfortable than most. And as one person mentioned, different shoes will be comfortable on different levels for different feet. But it looks like I've made the right decision for my own two feet.
smile.gif

What I'm really having fun with is my entire outfit today (man cannot live on shoes alone :p). These shoes are a a dark chocolate brown and they go well with the lavendar striped shirt, brown belt that I bought this past Saturday, and grey dress pants. At Harry's, I saw a perfectly matching Hugo Boss belt seemingly made for the shoes. But I decided on a reversible black/brown Canali which I'm really digging. The brown side is a matte finish, but I really like the mix of textures I'm putting together. I also know that brown shoes normally go with blue pants best, but they are working with the grey. Mind you I wouldn't wear just any brown shoes with these grey pants.

I do believe that Frank may have been a bit too hasty in his shoe purchases but we all go through that phase in the beginning of not really knowing where to get the best value for money.

I have to admit that this is a very insightful comment on your part. Although I did do some research online, and saw a great selection of shoes at a few stores over the past few weeks, I was also rather eager to make an upgrade. I'm excited to own these shoes, but also content with the idea that I can now add to the rotation without pressuring myself to go make a purchase until I've done all my research and gained more education.

While I didn't plan to purchase 2 pairs right away and this is a larger shoe purchase than what I've been used to up to now. I did go in with the idea that I'd be spending about $500. So I stayed within the ballpark with the exception of not deferring the purchase of a brown pair until later.
smile.gif

I'm also surprised to hear that his J&M's have crapped out so quickly. Were they Rubber soled? I have some older J&M's that I wear about 3-4 times a month, since they have welted leather soles I've been able to get them resoled and they're still alive and kickin'! Wearing them right now with jeans for Veteran's (casual) day..

I'm surprised that I've retired the J&M's after only one year myself. I should mention that they are still wearable and in decent condition. It's just that I'm surprised I haven't got better life out of them as I have other shoes in the same price range. In the same price range, the only worse shoes I had were Kenneth Cole Reactions - not a fan. Still, I'd give J&M's another chance and no one should take my experience as a knock against them.

Great responses, guys. It's interesting to see as many points of view as there are shoes out there.
smile.gif

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky In T.O.
I'm surprised that I've retired the J&M's after only one year myself. I should mention that they are still wearable and in decent condition. It's just that I'm surprised I haven't got better life out of them as I have other shoes in the same price range. In the same price range, the only worse shoes I had were Kenneth Cole Reactions - not a fan. Still, I'd give J&M's another chance and no one should take my experience as a knock against them.
Quick question about your shoe maintenance and care. Do you use Shoe Trees? Are you applying leather conditioner at least once a month (every 2 weeks if you wear the shoes often)? What do you use to polish your shoes? Also toe and heel taps can help to prolong the life your your soles if your a hard toe or heel striker. I'm guessing that since the J&M's you got were about $200 they were not as well built as the J&M Aristocraft line (the J&M shoes that I have) which may be a source of the durability issue.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
you made it to the Kurt Geiger website. so close, and yet, so far....

So poignant.

Regards.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by habituÃ
00a9.png
Sure. But most certainly not for walking the whole day on concrete either, not to speak about longer life and higher weight. Most modern men have some sort of foot defects that might cause problems as they become older. Often this has to do with wrong footwear during childhood - where we should have walked the whole day on grass. A good mixture between using the muscles of the feet and support is essential.

I think the views you have expressed re: footwear are way too judgmental. AE makes a fine shoe that provides more than adequate support and the company has done so for quite a number of years. The lack of a steel shank neither compromises the support nor the longevity of the shoe. It is just a design feature of the particular shoe line.

Blake stitched shoes are not inherently inferior to goodyear welted. There are very poorly made shoddy goodyear welted and very nice Blake stitched. In this regard the debate is not dissimilar to that involving fusing v. canvasing. And, there can be stylistic advantages in selecting a Blake stitched shoe. Accordingly, while there may be good reasons to disfavor a particular pair of shoes, Blake stitching alone is not enough.

I also find your ranking to be curious. For example, placing Church above Grenson Master pice level. Also, Zillions of others? I sure wish that were true.

Finally, I do think the tone of your original post could have been more constructive. While the shoe selections by the original poster would not have been mine - for reasons including cost - I think we want to encourage rather than discourage new posters.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Quick question about your shoe maintenance and care. Do you use Shoe Trees? Are you applying leather conditioner at least once a month (every 2 weeks if you wear the shoes often)? What do you use to polish your shoes? Also toe and heel taps can help to prolong the life your your soles if your a hard toe or heel striker.

I'm guessing that since the J&M's you got were about $200 they were not as well built as the J&M Aristocraft line (the J&M shoes that I have) which may be a source of the durability issue.

I use shoe trees almost too religiously, if there is such a thing as being too religious about using shoe trees. I am cognizant of using leather conditioner on a regular basis, but admit that I'm probably not disciplined enough (definitely not every 2 weeks). I don't use any special polish other than Tana or Kiwi brand (see my question below...) and as for toe and heel taps - never got 'em before.

The J&M's were exactly $200 at Town Shoes. No reference to Aristocraft line on the receipt, but I'll take a look at the box. Considering I'm not sure if they are the Aristocraft line, I'd hazard a guess that they are not.

Shoe Polish - now that I'm spending well over two times $200 for shoes, what type and brands of shoe polish are recommended and where are the best places to buy them?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use shoe trees almost too religiously, if there is such a thing as being too religious about using shoe trees. I am cognizant of using leather conditioner on a regular basis, but admit that I'm probably not disciplined enough (definitely not every 2 weeks). I don't use any special polish other than Tana or Kiwi brand (see my question below...) and as for toe and heel taps - never got 'em before.

The J&M's were exactly $200 at Town Shoes. No reference to Aristocraft line on the receipt, but I'll take a look at the box. Considering I'm not sure if they are the Aristocraft line, I'd hazard a guess that they are not.

Shoe Polish - now that I'm spending well over two times $200 for shoes, what type and brands of shoe polish are recommended and where are the best places to buy them?

Usually the insole will have the Aristocraft label and emblem. Otherwise I think it's a plain "Johnston & Murphy" label.

Leather Conditioners: Lexol, Allen Edmonds branded, or Crema Alpena/Nubiana seem to be the "go-to" Products.

Saphir Creams and Polishes have gotten good reviews from forumites as well. Lexol can usually be found at any cobbler/shoe repair place. The Allen Edmonds directly from AE, the Crema Alpena and Saphir from Franco's.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the advice!

What about water repellent sprays? Does it matter which is used? Winter is on it's way...

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about water repellent sprays? Does it matter which is used? Winter is on it's way...

I have yet to go through a harsh winter with "nice" shoes however it's my understanding that with enough preparation, the wax polish should be enough for fairly mild water protection. If you really want to keep your shoes safe from harm you should look into overshoes or perhaps something more waterproof, with a rubber/dainite sole and goretex lining, for your commute.

As I said I'm not quite up to snuff with my knowledge of winter shoe care/options so I'll let other members chime in with their experience.

habitue

Reaction score

Spray is not necessary. Just a nice trick to sell you one product more. Wax is way better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads