• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello, I’m getting a haircut soon but I don’t really know what would go well with my facial shape.

Reaction score
First one is me, second one is what I’ll get if I don’t find anything that suits me
F2EC3222-5FB1-4FB0-9BDD-BA59271B49F6.jpeg

Attachments

• BDBE4B7D-0B2A-4E35-A063-D3AF817CE526.png
    BDBE4B7D-0B2A-4E35-A063-D3AF817CE526.png
    830.4 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Also I know I have bad acne, that’s not why I came here. I’m trying to get my parents to let me go to a dermatologist

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I know I have bad acne, that’s not why I came here. I’m trying to get my parents to let me go to a dermatologist
Don't worry about the acne, you'll grow out of that.
Your hair looks fairly bone straight, and that guy in the pic has a different hair type.
As someone who was a salon consultant for 10 years when I was younger, my advice is to collect several pics of what you like, and book a consult with a recommended stylist.
Most salons will have look books to go through as well.
A good stylist will shoot straight with you on what's possible, what's not, and what they feel is best given what you've got.

Reaction score
Don't worry about the acne, you'll grow out of that.
Your hair looks fairly bone straight, and that guy in the pic has a different hair type.
As someone who was a salon consultant for 10 years when I was younger, my advice is to collect several pics of what you like, and book a consult with a recommended stylist.
Most salons will have look books to go through as well.
A good stylist will shoot straight with you on what's possible, what's not, and what they feel is best given what you've got.
The problem is is that I have 0 ideas on what I want, I’ve looked at some lists of hairstyles but I don’t think any of them would really suit me.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's where a consult will help.
You're also going to have to become great at using products and a blowdryer, so ask for samples and experiment.
With your type of hair, you really can't just wash and wear. Because your hair will just do what it wants.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think hairstyle is just as much of a function of your personal style and wardrobe, as it is about your face shape. I would consider the kind of style you're trying to project and how the hairstyle intersects with your wardrobe.

Personally, I like a messy quiff. I have very straight, thick hair, like you. Some things:

1. Barbers are generally better with clippers and doing things like tight fades
2. Hairstylists will generally be better with scissors.

Knowing where to go will somewhat depend on what kind of hairstyle you want. If you like a tight fade on the side, then you'll want to go to a barber. If you want a longer hairstyle, then you'll want to go to a hairstylist.

Since I have Asian hair, my hair doesn't do very well when it's very short on the sides. I find that thick, coarse, bone-straight hair sticks out like a porcupine when it's too short. Sometimes I can get away with it; sometimes I can't (my hair sometimes lays flat when it's conditioned so, but it's not always conditioned so). So I mostly go to hairstylists. Unfortunately, hair salons are a little more expensive than barbershops.

You can get a messy quiff either way, but it depends on how you want to finish the sides. Online photos of messy quiffs -- a style derived from the pompadour -- are often a bit over the top. Some "hairstyle" influencers wear them super high and tight. Like this:

maxresdefault.jpeg

But you can get them a little more subdued (which is how I prefer them)

8294a2bf577839409f51eefd531b3d39.jpeg
tumblr_ounjorM3ap1qa2j8co2_1280.jpeg

I find that a messy quiff goes with a lot of wardrobe styles. I can also help elongate the face, which is good if you think your face is a bit rounded and needs more angles.

To get this hairstyle, you'll need some products (e.g. clays and sometimes sea salt spray) and the right haircut. Best if you show your barber/ hairstylist photos of how you want your hair to look in the end.

There are a ton of good YouTube channels nowadays on hair. Some, admittedly, can get a bit corny -- like a lot of online style content -- but if you watch through them, you can pick up tidbits here and there. I like TheSalonGuy, Robin James, and andrewdoeshair

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think hairstyle is just as much of a function of your personal style and wardrobe, as it is about your face shape. I would consider the kind of style you're trying to project and how the hairstyle intersects with your wardrobe.

Personally, I like a messy quiff. I have very straight, thick hair, like you. Some things:

1. Barbers are generally better with clippers and doing things like tight fades
2. Hairstylists will generally be better with scissors.

Knowing where to go will somewhat depend on what kind of hairstyle you want. If you like a tight fade on the side, then you'll want to go to a barber. If you want a longer hairstyle, then you'll want to go to a hairstylist.

Since I have Asian hair, my hair doesn't do very well when it's very short on the sides. I find that thick, coarse, bone-straight hair sticks out like a porcupine when it's too short. Sometimes I can get away with it; sometimes I can't (my hair sometimes lays flat when it's conditioned so, but it's not always conditioned so). So I mostly go to hairstylists. Unfortunately, hair salons are a little more expensive than barbershops.

You can get a messy quiff either way, but it depends on how you want to finish the sides. Online photos of messy quiffs -- a style derived from the pompadour -- are often a bit over the top. Some "hairstyle" influencers wear them super high and tight. Like this:

View attachment 1606945

But you can get them a little more subdued (which is how I prefer them)

View attachment 1606946 View attachment 1606947

I find that a messy quiff goes with a lot of wardrobe styles. I can also help elongate the face, which is good if you think your face is a bit rounded and needs more angles.

To get this hairstyle, you'll need some products (e.g. clays and sometimes sea salt spray) and the right haircut. Best if you show your barber/ hairstylist photos of how you want your hair to look in the end.

There are a ton of good YouTube channels nowadays on hair. Some, admittedly, can get a bit corny -- like a lot of online style content -- but if you watch through them, you can pick up tidbits here and there. I like TheSalonGuy, Robin James, and andrewdoeshair

Thanks for the advice, I’m not really looking for a serious or very “mature” hair style because those don’t really look good on anyone under 16 unless they are in fancy apparel, the face just doesn’t match. As for daily wardrobe these are decently close the kinds of outfits I would normally wear day to day. Also thanks for the YouTube links

Attachments

• 6414F111-4B07-4639-862C-D8F5646AD6DC.jpeg
    6414F111-4B07-4639-862C-D8F5646AD6DC.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 38

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
We'd be twins, although I don't go quite that short on the sides.
I think your hair would be up for that.
Shoot some sea salt spray in there after you towel dry, blow dry it, then use some wax, or fiber product and hand style. It's a pretty easy upkeep look.
Are you talking about the first or second pic?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the first or second pic?
Ahhh, didn't see there were two links.
Very similar, and I'd say mine is between those two as far as side length.
Either works imo.
How short you can take it down on the sides depends on your growth patterns.
If I go too short, my hair sticks straight out.

Bonus content:

This is my go to product
1620699420175.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both those styles you linked look good. Note, the shorter the sides, the more often you'll have to go to the barber for a touch up.

I also use Kevin Murphy products and like them. Night Rider is a very strong hold. Try different ones to see which you like. They come with different textures, thicknesses, and holds. Sea salt spray can be good to add texture, but your barber will also need to build that in with a haircut. Show the person a photo of what you're trying to achieve.

Some videos you might find useful

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To echo the sides comment.

I take the sides very short and rough part on top.

If I don't go to my stylist every 4 weeks (5 at most) if started getting difficult to style. I have straight hair also and it wants to stick out when it gets longer.

Covid was baaaad for my hair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads