• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello, first post..umm I admit I shoe probelms..can not stop buying..hehe

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BHD812
I just bought two pair of Santoni's but have a few other makes such as Bruno Magli (3 pair),Mezlan (4 pair),Ferragamo (1 pair),and my worest pair ToDo NY (1 pair). yeah um I got all these in the last three months..yulp..can not stop buying them.
The Force is strong in this one. Welcome, BHD.

argoth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Rimby
Do you own any C&J Handgrades? The reason I ask is b/c C&J offers shoe trees but they aren't lasted. I'm not sure if I should use those or just use my Woodlores.
Yes, I do own several CJ Handgrades and Benchgrades. Here's a recent picture I posted of some Benchgrades (341 not 337). The tree is fairly close to the 341 last, even closer to the 337 last, in my experience, if not specifically for it.
CJ_Radstock_Black_341_Dainite-Family.jpg
Compare to what a Woodlore tree looks like (right two are Woodlore for AE)
CJ_Shoetrees_vs_Woodlore.jpg
Not really close, in my opinion. Also, Woodlore shoetrees are rather flat and don't hold the form of the shoe as well. Again, in my opinion. The peak of the part that goes under the lacing is higher on the CJ than on the Woodlore, so it holds the form all the way up, as opposed to half way with the Woodlore. Here's the CJ shoe tree from the front and side to give you an idea of the difference.
CJ_Shoetrees-front.jpg
CJ_Shoetrees-side.jpg
Maybe I should take a picture of the Woodlore trees from the side and front also, but hopefully you get the idea. Anyway, its completely up to you if they are worth the price difference, which is not insubstantial. For me, I find trees that are sized and lasted (or as close as I can get) work out the best for me. Also, for what its worth, the two Woodlore trees pictured are in my two pairs of AEs and I can push down on the toe of the AE as though nothing is supporting it, which is something I cannot do on the CJ (or my Lobb, Vass, and EG). Arg

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by argoth
Yes, I do own several CJ Handgrades and Benchgrades. Here's a recent picture I posted of some Benchgrades (341 not 337). The tree is fairly close to the 341 last, even closer to the 337 last, in my experience, if not specifically for it.

CJ_Radstock_Black_341_Dainite-Family.jpg

Compare to what a Woodlore tree looks like (right two are Woodlore for AE)

CJ_Shoetrees_vs_Woodlore.jpg

Not really close, in my opinion. Also, Woodlore shoetrees are rather flat and don't hold the form of the shoe as well. Again, in my opinion. The peak of the part that goes under the lacing is higher on the CJ than on the Woodlore, so it holds the form all the way up, as opposed to half way with the Woodlore.

Here's the CJ shoe tree from the front and side to give you an idea of the difference.

CJ_Shoetrees-front.jpg

CJ_Shoetrees-side.jpg

Maybe I should take a picture of the Woodlore trees from the side and front also, but hopefully you get the idea.

Anyway, its completely up to you if they are worth the price difference, which is not insubstantial. For me, I find trees that are sized and lasted (or as close as I can get) work out the best for me. Also, for what its worth, the two Woodlore trees pictured are in my two pairs of AEs and I can push down on the toe of the AE as though nothing is supporting it, which is something I cannot do on the CJ (or my Lobb, Vass, and EG).

Arg

Wow. Thanks for posting this for me. I'm going for the C&J shoe trees from now on. Seeing them side by side demonstrates a rather large difference between the two.

I'm still breaking in a new pair of C&J Audleys. They feel a little better each time I wear them. If they break in to a point at which they're completely comfortable (toes are a little cramped at the moment) then I'm going on a Plal/Handgrade shoe (and shoe tree!) binge.

Thanks again.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely moving on from Woodlores. They don't give enough support all around the shoe. They are great for the main creasing area around the toes. But that's it.

I also like to feel a hard surface when I'm polishing, and not feeling wood behind, the leather higher up the shoe where the Woodlore misses is not solid when I polish, and I don't like it. So, yeah, Woodlores are better than nothing. But there's better out there...at a price...

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Either Bexley or the lasted maunfacturer's trees for me.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Chicago, does Paul Stuart carry shoes?

Also, is George Greene still peddling Lattanzi?

well-kept

Reaction score
BHD812, I posted a thread yesterday in response to yours. It's titled "New Shoes and Clothes - Friendship Among Strangers". I don't know if you've read it but I'd be pleased if you did. Let me know and I'll re-open the dialog. I feel it matters, not only to you but to many of us.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 76 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 78 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.7%

Forum statistics

Threads