• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello, first post..umm I admit I shoe probelms..can not stop buying..hehe

BHD812

New Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
So hello everyone..

Name is Billy or Bill, from Chicago looking for shoe Advice from the other shoe-nuts here.

I just bought two pair of Santoni's but have a few other makes such as Bruno Magli (3 pair),Mezlan (4 pair),Ferragamo (1 pair),and my worest pair ToDo NY (1 pair). yeah um I got all these in the last three months..yulp..can not stop buying them.

anyway So first off anyone know anywhere in Chicago that has a decent range to choose from?

where are all you going for Shoe Tree's? I hit ebay on a 10 pair buy it now, was wandering if anybody knows better?

and how would you rate the shoes I have and what I should look at next?

thanks all...I think my feet will be happy here, wish I could say the same for my wallet...haha
Billy D
 

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
22,000
Reaction score
40
welcome Billy,
if you are looking for a solace, a place of serenity and recovery from your addiction this is not the place.

you will only find bad influences here. soon enough you will see it as a part of your sense and logic to spend a thousand dollars on a pair of shoes.

hope you will get your answers from other posters, i was just welcoming you.
 

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2002
Messages
6,319
Reaction score
1,253
Try Nordstrom's Rack for shoe trees.
 

pkincy

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
949
Reaction score
83
Originally Posted by mr monty
Try Nordstrom's Rack for shoe trees.

+1.

And definitely read the sticky shoe threads as well as the perennial for sale shoe thread in that section.

PS. You will be buying John Lobb and EG in 3-6 months and if not broke by then you will move quickly into bespoke.

Perry
 

william

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
1,548
Reaction score
4
There's someone here you need to speak to.
devil.gif
He can help you.
devil.gif
His name is...........aportnoy!!!
devil.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
devil.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
devil.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif


If you're trying to figure out what the above means run a search for "shoe damage".

For shoe trees I'd check out Sierra Trading Post. They were selling Woodlores/Allen Edmonds trees for $12 a piece not too long ago.
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
19,672
Reaction score
1,555
Welcome. More than the brands itself, you should be aware of the quality of the shoes you purchase, and of course the aesthetics of the shoes themselves.

Oh, and I hate to point out grammatical errors, but why do you post "ummm's"?
 

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Moderator
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
8,086
Reaction score
2,563
Yes, bad influence. Half a year ago, I would never had expected that I would be thinking to myself that 340usd for a pair of shoes (RLPL Mackays) was a bargain. A year ago, I'd be baulking at paying a quarter of that, albeit at high street stores.
 

argoth

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
197
Reaction score
0
Welcome! A shoe addict will find good company here.

Regarding evaluating your present choices, typically its best to describe, not merely by brand, but by line, maker, type, name, photo, or combination thereof if possible (ex. Bruno Magli Platinum line, Salvatore Ferragamo Tramezza monk, Edward Green Dover, etc). Also, I believe the forum typically is more about presenting information rather than judgment. So, here's some information compiled by JCusey over at AAAC that might be useful in that respect -> http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...seyOnShoes.htm

Originally Posted by BHD812
where are all you going for Shoe Tree's?

Personally, after bad experiences with generic trees deforming my lovely shoes, I stick to buying sized and lasted shoe trees from the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by pkincy
PS. You will be buying John Lobb and EG in 3-6 months and if not broke by then you will move quickly into bespoke.

These words are so true, you have no idea. If you're a shoe enthusiast, like myself, the forum can be a revelation. Although in this case, enlightenment doesn't come by removing your desire for worldly things, but rather is a product of them.

Good luck and hide the receipts!
smile.gif


Arg
 

broady

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Welcome. More than the brands itself, you should be aware of the quality of the shoes you purchase, and of course the aesthetics of the shoes themselves.

Stupid question, but I think I have the aesthetics part down. But I've never been able to tell quality just by looking at a new garment/shoe.

Could you guys please share some of the signs, or what to look for?
 

well-kept

Senior Member
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
909
Reaction score
42
Originally Posted by BHD812
and how would you rate the shoes I have and what I should look at next?

Next, look at what you have and feel sufficient. It's a good feeling.
 

william

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
1,548
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by argoth
Personally, after bad experiences with generic trees deforming my lovely shoes, I stick to buying sized and lasted shoe trees from the manufacturer.

Do you own any C&J Handgrades? The reason I ask is b/c C&J offers shoe trees but they aren't lasted. I'm not sure if I should use those or just use my Woodlores.
 

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
6,791
Reaction score
786
Originally Posted by BHD812
So hello everyone..

Name is Billy or Bill, from Chicago looking for shoe Advice from the other shoe-nuts here.

I just bought two pair of Santoni's but have a few other makes such as Bruno Magli (3 pair),Mezlan (4 pair),Ferragamo (1 pair),and my worest pair ToDo NY (1 pair). yeah um I got all these in the last three months..yulp..can not stop buying them.

anyway So first off anyone know anywhere in Chicago that has a decent range to choose from?

where are all you going for Shoe Tree's? I hit ebay on a 10 pair buy it now, was wandering if anybody knows better?

and how would you rate the shoes I have and what I should look at next?

thanks all...I think my feet will be happy here, wish I could say the same for my wallet...haha
Billy D


How can I be of service?
devil.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
devil.gif
 

heavyd

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
530
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Yes, bad influence. Half a year ago, I would never had expected that I would be thinking to myself that 340usd for a pair of shoes (RLPL Mackays) was a bargain. A year ago, I'd be baulking at paying a quarter of that, albeit at high street stores.


EXACTLY! Though I admit I have learned how to get much better sale prices from SF, I now buy much higher priced pieces. I used to be content with Brooks Brothers and AE's. To think...
musicboohoo[1].gif
 

heavyd

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
530
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by BHD812
So hello everyone..

Name is Billy or Bill, from Chicago looking for shoe Advice from the other shoe-nuts here.

I just bought two pair of Santoni's but have a few other makes such as Bruno Magli (3 pair),Mezlan (4 pair),Ferragamo (1 pair),and my worest pair ToDo NY (1 pair). yeah um I got all these in the last three months..yulp..can not stop buying them.

anyway So first off anyone know anywhere in Chicago that has a decent range to choose from?

where are all you going for Shoe Tree's? I hit ebay on a 10 pair buy it now, was wandering if anybody knows better?

and how would you rate the shoes I have and what I should look at next?

thanks all...I think my feet will be happy here, wish I could say the same for my wallet...haha
Billy D



This collection sounds ameteur at best. Please post some pics of your collection for better review so we can see what kind of style you are after.
 

marc237

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
2,353
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by heavyd
This collection sounds ameteur at best. Please post some pics of your collection for better review so we can see what kind of style you are after.

I think this may be a bit harsh. It is quite possible to put together a nice representation of different colors and styles from virtually all of these manufacturers. Santoni makes shoe sin multiple grades and degrees of fashion forwardness. Mezlan can make very decent shoes as well as shoes that are a bit more mass market and too 'Stacey Adams' for my taste. I think Magli and Ferragamo are not the best value for the dollar at their price range, but can provide a decent aesthetic.

While the OP has a fun and expensive path in front of him, I would suggest that he has made a nice start on that path and is light years ahead of 99.78% his fellow males in terms of footwear selection.*




* All statistics from www.theportnoyshoesolution.org, the premier support group for shoe addicts.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

  • Peacoat

  • Great coat

  • Trench

  • Mac

  • Chesterfield

  • Duffle coat

  • Topcoat

  • Shearling

  • Balmacaan

  • Parka

  • Loden

  • Car coat


Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
503,115
Messages
10,563,540
Members
223,347
Latest member
ayojknow
Top