• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Heel taps vs. topy heels.

Shiny

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on this. I don't know much about topy heels, but I have been using heel taps exclusively. I seem to wear out my heels very fast. Everytime I get new heels, I get the taps put on them. I get a month or two out of the taps (plastic?) then I start wearing down the heel and I start over.

I estimate that I do 3-4 new heels like this before I ever wear out the leather soles. What about topy heels? Will they do much better? I've only seen them online (google search 'topy heels', then Image results), but wanted to ask you guys.

BTW, I did try metal taps once and they were much more durable but were very noisy on floors other than carpet.

qtdude

Reaction score
I went to topys about 6 mos ago and they're fine. But somehow I think I'm missing my leather soles somehow. I think I'm going back to taps.

Man I used to love metal taps, the clicking. But cobbler said they were bad for floors.

Shiny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by qtdude
I went to topys about 6 mos ago and they're fine. But somehow I think I'm missing my leather soles somehow. I think I'm going back to taps.

Man I used to love metal taps, the clicking. But cobbler said they were bad for floors.

I was asking about tapy "heels". Any experience with those?

IMHO leather soles are best b/c my feet seem cooler with those.

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often do you wear the same pair of shoes? I put toe taps on my shoes (plastic) and they are good for a year or more.

qtdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shiny
I was asking about tapy "heels". Any experience with those?

IMHO leather soles are best b/c my feet seem cooler with those.

Nah, because with the metal heels, there is absolutely no traction on the heel and you are going to go down.

Shiny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
How often do you wear the same pair of shoes? I put toe taps on my shoes (plastic) and they are good for a year or more.

This particular shoes I wear 2-3 times a week. I say this heel/tap combo lasts me 3-4 months.
Just to be clear, I'm asking about topy heels. Here's a google pix I came up with:

or this:

Anybody ever try out these heels? I'd like to know about durability of these. Thanks.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40