• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heel slip in only one shoe?

kaizo

Reaction score
Its my pay day soon so I went for the old ritualistic stroll to the local shoe store. Since I now know my salesman fairly well I asked him if he could pick the best last and size for me. I did get a good idea of what size and last fits me but even when both my feets feel snug the right heel seems to slip a bit. I know its a pair of new shoes that I tried but is this normal? If not what is the cause of this? Oddly enough its my bigger feet that is slipping...

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your (actually everybody's) feet are slightly different. Even though your right foot is bigger, the shape of the heel of the right foot might match the specific shape of the shoe less well then the left foot. Whether or not it is an issue depends on the amount of heel slippage.

If it is just a little bit of heel slippage, it might go away once you broke in the shoes and the leather adjusted to your feet. You can also ask a cobbler to glue a thin piece of suede to the heel, which will provide extra grip.

kaizo

Reaction score
Hi thank you for the reply. Now that you mention it the salesman did say that my feet is 'sloped'. Since I am getting semi-order made shoes I can probably ask them to make minor adjustments. What do you think is the best solution for this sloped feet? I'm planning to get a wholecut oxford in black calf. Would it be a crass idea to ask them to make the V opening on the laces a bit wider?

gambit50

Reaction score
If you are ordering 'semi made' then this should be take into account, no?
If not, it happens as AlexE stated. I am sure there is always some hack to make the shoe stay better but proper dress shoes should be tied on quite snugly so if you really feel your heel sliding, I would say that is a problem and to leave them at the store. If your heel is basically secure but you feel the skin shifting a bit, you can probably deal with it well enough.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I am not quite sure what semi-order made means. I associate with the term "made-to-order" usually that you can choose materials and some detailing for a RTW model. Anyway, I am not sure if changing the V will fix slight slippage at the heel. Can you try different length-width combinations, e.g. go up one size in length and down in width?

kaizo

Reaction score
Hi thank you both for your reply. Sorry I should have explained it a bit better. What I meant by semi-order made is that I could pick the last of the shoes hence tailor it to the shape of the last closest to my feet. So right now I've picked out the best fitting last. I've tried going down and up in sizes and I've hit the narrowest width that is available by Barkers.

When you say the leather might adjust to my feet are you referring to the heel cup? That seems quite sturdy but would it mould into the shape of my heel?

Also I'm planning to get Dainite soles that's apparently stays quite stiff even after breaking in but would that be an issue?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the repeated questions.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When you say the leather might adjust to my feet are you referring to the heel cup? That seems quite sturdy but would it mould into the shape of my heel?

With a few of my shoes, I experienced at the beginning minimal heel slippage meaning that the heel was basically secure, but I could feel the skin shifting a bit. This went away after wearing them a few times (according to a cobbler because the leather soles get less stiff and the heel leather adjusts a bit).

Will this happen in your case too? I do not know (at least you will not have the effect of the leather sole getting more flexible).

Last edited:

kaizo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply again. Yeah in my case the heel was held down pretty well by the laces and the heel cup follows my actual heel. Its probably what you described as a skin slipping that I'm experiencing. I think I will go ahead with the shoe purchase. Thank you all for your help :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads