• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heel slip in new boots normal?

Neo1824

Reaction score
Is it normal for your heel to move a little (<1/2 inch) in a new dainite-soled chukka boot? I suspect this is due to the very heavy sole not being broken in yet, and perhaps a little by the boot being a hair big.
Thanks!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You might try flexing the sole at the bend point to see if you can break it in a bit. If it's too big, you could also put thin insoles in there at least until it breaks in. Snugger shoes crease less as well, something to consider.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo1824
Is it normal for your heel to move a little (<1/2 inch) in a new dainite-soled chukka boot? I suspect this is due to the very heavy sole not being broken in yet, and perhaps a little by the boot being a hair big.
Thanks!

Yeah, Don't worry, it's normal (at least for me)

And I'd much rather have < 1/2 inch of movement when new rather than a little tightness.

To me, I always prefer a shoe very slightly big to one that is the least bit tight.

Neo1824

Reaction score
Thanks.
I'm debating whether I should try a smaller size (this one is a 1/2 size bigger than I normally get for C&J), or go the tongue pad route. Just seems strange to me to spend this much on a shoe and than need a little stick-on pad to get it to fit right.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, if it's a bit loose you have the option of using thick socks if it gets cold, and with Dainite soles it seems those might be for that function. If you size down a half size, you may not be able to wear anything but thin socks.

Why don't you put a thin insole in them? There's no sticking-on involved, it protects the original insoles, and it often makes them more comfortable to walk in. Once the soles break in a bit you can decide if you want to take the insoles out.

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo1824
Thanks.
I'm debating whether I should try a smaller size (this one is a 1/2 size bigger than I normally get for C&J), or go the tongue pad route. Just seems strange to me to spend this much on a shoe and than need a little stick-on pad to get it to fit right.

It's still RTW. It is up to you to find the last and size that work for you, or to correct for the faults until you go bespoke.

I don't mean to pick on you, but this is a common posting when folks "trade up" to their first higher-end shoes. What you pay for from a top-tier maker are: (i) better materials for the uppers and soles - this often includes nice details like cork footbeds that mold to your feet, etc; (ii) a different selection of lasts - these may be better or worse for your feet than other RTW; (iii) some degree of special finishing/handwork/antiquing; (iv) * usually one or the other * marketing budgets / manufacturing inefficiencies.

Fit can get a lot worse with a high-end RTW shoe if the last doesn't match your foot. But - with a few exceptions like Lattanzi and Kiton RTW - the most expensive RTW shoes are a lot less expensive than bespoke, where you truly pay for fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads