1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hedi Slimane article in New Yorker

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 22, 2006.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

The "I have no nostalgia" claim is a bit rich, coming from him:

3. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior Member

Hedi was fantastic when he created the bizarre tech-goth-noir thing that he used to do. But from the moment he tried to do grunge, or punk, or ska, or whatever, he just totally lost the plot...

4. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

... aren't Slimane suits based on the slightly short and very fitted "mod" look from the 1960s?

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

... aren't Slimane suits based on the slightly short and very fitted "mod" look from the 1960s?

Hedi has some mod influences to past seasons but I've never thought his suits were mod at all. More like updated/restyled new wave/new romantic. But everything he does is "nostalgic" so he's full of shit when he says he has "no nostalgia". For fucks sake, one of his current season tshirts has lyrics from a Jam song printed on it.

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Yep. The No nostalgia thing is bullshit. his entire line right now is practically straight from the adicts wardrobe.

completely agree.

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

For the past couple years I keep reading about how Hedi is so "new" and "revolutionary" yadda yadda but his Dior Homme line is probably one of the most un-innovative collections of his era, if you are remotely familiar with music subcultures.

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

For the past couple years I keep reading about how Hedi is so "new" and "revolutionary" yadda yadda but his Dior Homme line is probably one of the most un-innovative collections of his era, if you are remotely familiar with music subcultures.

Mm.. I think his older collections - Luster, Red, and Strip, are definitely pretty awesome. Not all wearable, but an entirely new aesthetic, a different shift in the idea of gender in the fashion world...

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I actually preferred his stuff at YSL more than DH. But overall I do like DH, there are definitely pieces I would love to wear but I'm not going to go so far as giving him credit for being completely original/innovative. Not that a designer has to be because everything *is* ultimately derivative of something from the past.