• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavy weight suit instead of overcoat

Lear

Reaction score
I've been considering clothing for next winter.

Has anyone gone down the route of dispensing with the overcoat altogether, and having a 3-piece suit made up in extra heavy fabric. I'm guessing that it would need to be bespoke, and something like 16oz plus.

I find an overcoat a hassle to store and take care of, both on the journey, and when you arrive at your destination.

I know that this couldn't work in Moscow or Chicago. How about the UK though?

Lear

Keon

Reaction score
The only problem I can think of is climate control. It was chilly inside and out when these suits were more popular. You'll want to remove your jacket if the office is too warm.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Manton mentioned that he does this. Edit: don't think it's with 3-pieces.

Doc4

Reaction score
This would depend on a few factors, of course, mostly related to how cold it is and how far you have to walk outside. If the most you will be doing is briskly walking a couple blocks on occasion, you can probably get away with it ... but get stuck waiting at a bus stop for 15 minutes in a cold wind wearing nothing but a suit ... and you'll regret it! Rain or snow adds a whole new factor ...

I'd say the overcoatless-suit look is fine if the weather isn't inclement enough to require the overcoat; this is probably an "I'll do it it and when the weather permits" thing rather than a plan for the season.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
On a related-note, hope you dont mind, but when you purchase a formal overcoat or topcoat, do you have to estimate and get the size one above your suit size? Like this:
Suit size 42R -> get a 44R overcoat

Or

Do you stick with the same overcoat size as your suit because the coat already compensates for the fact you will be wearing it over your suit?

And
Ive seen people wear just the overcoat over a tie and shirt. Is this (traditionally) acceptable? (Like is there actually a separate overcoat for this) or is it just a casual thing people do these days?
Thanks

millionaire75

Reaction score
I have a few overcoats. The size will obviously differ among makers. I always go for the smaller size as I rarely wear one with a jacket underneath (job doesn't require suit jacket). I usually wear a 40 or 42 suit and actually bought a a 38 for an overcoat.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a scarf. Looks kickass.

My grandfather's SB overcoat had a very open chest, and he instructed me to wear a scarf with it. The coat was lost when my family moved
frown.gif

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I've gotten more 16 oz+ suits made up I've skipped the overcoat down to say the low 30's. Getting a higher cut vest is a real help. As long as your office isn't heated to nuclear core temperature they work out fine indoors. Pretty surprising really.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
As I've gotten more 16 oz+ suits made up I've skipped the overcoat down to say the low 30's. Getting a higher cut vest is a real help. As long as your office isn't heated to nuclear core temperature they work out fine indoors. Pretty surprising really.
If you're dedicated to clothes and know what you're doing it is alright to get a heavier suit and eschew the overcoat. I know someone in the industry who loves the Dugdale suit wools of 15/16 oz and wears them alone with a scarf and gloves.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used to do this a lot in NE USA. Best was a 16 oz flannel three piece with gloves and a big, thick scarf. Worked to about 0 degrees Celsius, sometimes lower.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
If you're dedicated to clothes and know what you're doing it is alright to get a heavier suit and eschew the overcoat. I know someone in the industry who loves the Dugdale suit wools of 15/16 oz and wears them alone with a scarf and gloves.

So how come when I do it, it is a sign of hopeless iGentry?
confused.gif

Congrats on getting to four days! It's possible I have simply missed one, but I am going to give you credit anyway.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll often wear my flannel suits with a scarf and gloves without an overcoat. I do this most often when I'm attending conferences or receptions and don't want the hassle of storing my coat, or I plan to leave early and don't want the act of getting my overcoat to call attention to my early departure. In these situations I store my scarf and gloves in my briefcase.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing a hat makes a BIG difference as well.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Wearing a hat makes a BIG difference as well.
I agree. If it's really cold, I'll put on my stocking cap along with the scarf and gloves. It's not very handsome, but it serves its purpose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads