• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hearing Loss After a Concert - How Long?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a punk show last night and, well, it was a punk show - loud and rowdy. I've been to plenty of shows before but never had a problem.

The show started at about 11pm last night, and my hearing is still affected almost 24 hours later.

Right after the show I would say that I had only 1/3 of my normal hearing (judging from the volume setting in the car on the way home - I had to crank it up a lot higher than usual). My ears were also ringing horribly. When I tried to make a phone call after the show, I couldn't hear the person on the other end.

I'd say that I have about 2/3 my normal hearing capacity as of posting this, but my ears are still ringing badly and I have a bad headache.

Is this normal?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a bad case of this after *I think* a Fear Factory concert. Took about a week for the ringing to subside
wow.gif

sparx

Reaction score
I've been to a fair share of loud concerts--I'd say you'll be noticeably better come tomorrow morning.

stach

Reaction score
If your ears are ringing it's a sign of damage. Your hearing may come back but your hearing capacity will probably be diminished. I hope I don't sound too much like a parent here but it might be a good idea to get your hearing checked.

Yudi

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've had ringing for a couple days after concerts a bunch of times and it's never had any long term effects. Give it another 24 hours and it should be just about back to normal.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would moniter your hearing and wear earplugs from now on. It's no fun having hearing damage with ringing that doesn't stop. Also, the headaches and throwing up that accompany long term hearing loss aren't fun either.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yep, I also have had my fair share of ear ringing the next day after a loud gig. You'll be back to normal in no time, if not already.

tommib

Reaction score
I'm sure you're hearing will go back to normal, I've had that before.

Although what I would recommend is that you don't turn up your stereo/ tv/ ipod etc. to compensate for your temporary hearing loss, because although you can't hear as much, the loud noise still damages your ears in the same way.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear earplugs the next time, but damage has been caused even if the ringing's subsided. Your high frequency hearing definitey has been diminished: there are small hairs of varying lengths proportional to the wavelength of sound at various frequencies in your inner ear. Sound vibrates these hairs which convert the sound to electrical impulses which are sent to your brain. The smallest and most fragile hairs are used for high frequency hearing. Sustained loud sounds basically destroy the smaller hairs very quickly causing high frequency hearing loss.

Maybe if stem cell research is successful, you could regenerate these hairs, as has been done in mice.

--Andre

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
That's blasphemy! I'm telling the President on you!

Jon.

laugh.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happened to me at a Crystal Method show. It was so loud is was distracting.

It was bad but was okay in a couple days I guess (it was a number of years back). But between those shows and the car stereo and headphones, my hearing is not in great shape.

bob

stach

Reaction score
Best to try to avoid getting to the hearing aid point. That makes you look older very fast.
frown.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
This happened to me at a Crystal Method show. It was so loud is was distracting.

It was bad but was okay in a couple days I guess (it was a number of years back). But between those shows and the car stereo and headphones, my hearing is not in great shape.

bob

Seriously: earplugs.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads