• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hearing Jazz in NYC

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to start hearing more jazz at night in New York City.

Where to do this?

I know of the staples (Blue Note, Small's, Vanguard) though haven't been yet. Does every club charge a cover? Are there any off the beaten path that you recommend?

Septavius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
I want to start hearing more jazz at night in New York City.

Where to do this?

I know of the staples (Blue Note, Small's, Vanguard) though haven't been yet. Does every club charge a cover? Are there any off the beaten path that you recommend?

Birdland is another place. The cover charge differs depending on who is playing.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
55 Bar and Smoke are less obvious but respected and always have good music. It seems like the vanguard always has Paul Motian, at least the last few times I've been to NYC.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zinc Bar is a good place. Small and Vanguard can be pricey - cover is usually $25.

highball

Reaction score
+1 for smoke and birdland. Also heard good things about zinc bar, but I've never been.

Vince Lombardi's Ghost

Reaction score
Sorry for dragging up a dead thread but are these places good for a drop in? I'm going to be in the area sometime in Oct but don't know if I can make a show until the last minute. Do I need to get a spot in advance or can I be reasonably sure of finding an act to enjoy the night of or will I be turned away at the door.

ecs135

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi's Ghost
Sorry for dragging up a dead thread but are these places good for a drop in? I'm going to be in the area sometime in Oct but don't know if I can make a show until the last minute. Do I need to get a spot in advance or can I be reasonably sure of finding an act to enjoy the night of or will I be turned away at the door.

I think you could usually drop into Smalls, and 55 Bar is right down the street in case you want to check who is playing and whether you can get in.

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi's Ghost

Depends on who is playing and how popular they are as well as the size of the club. I've gotten into Smoke before as one of the last people in just by showing up 15 mins or so before showtime, but that's a gamble. Not sure about other venues. If you get there far enough in advance (30mins to an hour perhaps) so that you're one of the first in line, and it's not someone huge playing you should be ok

Originally Posted by bullethead
Dizzy's Club Coca Cola is one of the best.

Depends on what you're looking for. Dizzy's has a great view and gets some good acts but the atmosphere is definitely not a traditional jazz club, if that's what you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads