• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heard of Schofield & Smith company?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're a manufacturer of wool in the UK. Does anyone have info on them?

Cheers

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've heard of them but am not a Brit so I cannot comment.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good? bad?

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lasbar has peaked my interest in S&S...

Anyone willing to provide comments on quality, etc. (compared to say Harrisons or Smith Woollens)?

Thinking of Knightsbridge - Book 81, Super 100s Suiting - Book 85, and Best English Tradition - Book 88.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I had a suit made from Schofield cloth about 12 years ago at Brooks Brothers.

I recall that it was good cloth and that it wore well. I discarded it a few years ago.

I do not recall seeing the Schofield name recently.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cifonelli bought some fabrics from them and think it is good stuff...

I quite like the ones on display.

Penfold

Reaction score
Bumped from the grave:

Have become slightly obsessed with finding out more about Schofield & Smith.

They have a website, they have a Facebook page, they appear to sell cut lengths of suiting and jacketing straight to the public - but there's almost no feedback about the quality of their fabrics anywhere, no pictures of completed garments, zip.

I'm married to a Yorkshirewoman, so I have both Yorkshire pride and tight-fistedness by proxy, and I'd like to buy from them and do CMT here in Hong Kong. Tried emailing them to ask if they had an agent in HK or any tailors who carry their books but they never answered, which puts me off trying to request samples or purchase directly from the mill.

If anyone has access to the St Andrews jacketing bunch can you please tell me what you make of this cloth

or this cloth from the Silk and Wool Jacketings book

I'd buy the cut lengths if I thought I could flip them relatively painlessly if I didn't like them, but with so little brand appeal I fear there wouldn't be a market.

Penfold

Reaction score
Sarah from Schofield & Smith replied to my email and apologised for the delay. They don't have any Hong Kong based merchants/stockists but were very happy to send out up to 5 fabric samples. I requested them on Monday night HK time and the UPS man was outside my door by Thursday morning so no worries about efficiency after all.

I requested three samples from the Saint Andrews jacketing book, one from the Best English Tradition 2 and one from their Silk & Wool Jacketings book.

Photo heavy so spoilered. Prices shown do not include V.A.T. at 20% for UK/EU customers.

Saint Andrews Jacketing

2636 - Brown Lambswool. 360g. £50 per metre. Faux/near Barleycorn?
http://www.schofieldandsmith.co.uk/cloth-en.php?n30=EL-2607-76

2646 - Brown lambswool. 360g. £50 per metre. A Glen Plaid riot in greens, reds and brown.
http://www.schofieldandsmith.co.uk/cloth-en.php?n30=EL-2604-11

2628 - Green Tweed with four colours overcheck. 480g (not 380g as per website), British wool. Proper hairy English country tweed, guaranteed to smell of wet dog.
http://www.schofieldandsmith.co.uk/cloth-en.php?n30=EW-3803-61

Silk and Wool Jacketing

2402 - 55% Silk, 45% Super 120s Wool. 240g, £100 per metre
http://www.schofieldandsmith.co.uk/cloth-en.php?n30=SLJ-9262-56

Very undecided about this. Quite smooth but not exactly slippery to handle, moderate sheen, plenty of surface interest albeit at a fine level. The windowpane/overcheck reads much more strongly vertically than horizontally - thicker white/blue stripes in the warp versus thin red stripes on the weft. At many angles the horizontal check disappears, though it shows up quite strongly in the two photos above.

Edit - added close-up so you can make sense of my ramblings.

Best English Tradition 2

8750 - Mid Grey Worsted Flannel Glen Plaid with Red Overcheck. 320g (per website and covering letter, but someone wrote 330g on the sticker), £70 per metre. Super 100s wool.

Lovely worsted flannel (I think!), tastefully mid-dark grey. Light-weight, soft handle but with some body, good fuzz on the surface, may not be too hardy. I wasn't going to have any more suits made but doubt I can resist this if I can strike a good CMT price. Will be interesting to compare with Harrisons 39234 worsted flannel - feels like there's less contrast which makes it more sober/formal but could that leave it sitting lost between "loud and proud" and "conservative business dress" ?

Last edited:

dfoverdx

Reaction score
I also have some stuff from them. Wool mohair suiting, one of jacketing above pictured. I have one summer jacketing which is really nice (wool mohair silk linen) they are all very nice. I find quality of cloth superior than Harrisons...

Penfold

Reaction score

Last edited:

Penfold

Reaction score
Cross-posting from the Unfunded Liabilities thread. 2 day UPS shipping at a flat £20 per length, no labels included with the cloth beyond the piece ticket.

Schofield and Smith St Andrews jacketing bunch, cloths 2630 and 2628, both 480g.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-posting from the Unfunded Liabilities thread. 2 day UPS shipping at a flat £20 per length, no labels included with the cloth beyond the piece ticket.

Schofield and Smith St Andrews jacketing bunch, cloths 2630 and 2628, both 480g.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

This looks fantastic! But ehmmm, a bit hot for HK?

Penfold

Reaction score
I'm going to be the Founder Member of the Sham Shui Po Young Farmers Union. Our motto - "Bringing cows back into Kowloon"

Left the UK for HK on this day last year and will be back in the UK by this time in 2016 at the latest, so this is just me trying to take advantage of being here while I can. Or so I tell my wife.

hippotamus

Reaction score
Good Stuff, make good use of the time with some of the gem here in HK, definitely worth digging around .

Have a look at moon fabric, same situation, low publicity in the HK community but IMHO, good quality stuff to play around (especially if you are doing so many CMT, really should have the 1st commission with relatively cheaper fabric)

Moon actually has some exposure in Japan, maybe because Ring Jacket use them...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads