• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Healthy, or at least non-disgusting snacks

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sitting here eating a whole bag of roasted coated green peas ("A happy present from the earth"). They don't seem too unhealthy, but who knows.

Another thing I've been into recently is called "pasta para duros". Available in the Mexican food section, it's basically the coolest thing ever in the whole world. They are little hard pasta-looking wagon wheels that you put in the microwave for about 20 seconds (put them on a paper towel and arrange in a ring pattern for best effect) and they puff up about 10x their original volume into what are basically non-animal pork rinds. If you gave them to 10 people and said they were pork rinds, I bet 8 or 9 wouldn't know the difference. But again, I have no idea how healthy these are.

But I often find myself reaching for microwave popcorn (not very good for me with the "butter" kind I get), crackers, stuff that's probably not too healthy.

Anyone have suggestions for stuff I can keep around to munch on and not worry too much about? Snacks that don't spoil are preferred, though I will usually eat vegetables in time if I keep them where I can see them in the fridge.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unsalted nuts? I love pecans. They are 70% (unsaturated) fat, 10% protein, and 10% fiber by weight though.

Or, buy a tub of unsweetened plain yogurt to store in the fridge, and have some granola/muesli, or dried fruits nearby. If you find plain yogurt too tart, generally a two teaspoons per 3/4 cup is sufficient.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
A good friend of mine swears by wasabi peas.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like snacking on kimchi

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
A good friend of mine swears by wasabi peas.

I love these.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like the granola

vanity

Reaction score
Zone Bars
zone_bars_big.jpg
They come in tons of flavors and have a perfect balance of protein, carbs, and fat. They taste good and will keep you satiated for a few hours.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I eat a mix of dried fruit, nuts (lots of almonds, unsalted), and seeds with a sandwich for lunch every day.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I'm sitting here eating a whole bag of roasted coated green peas ("A happy present from the earth"). They don't seem too unhealthy, but who knows.

Another thing I've been into recently is called "pasta para duros". Available in the Mexican food section, it's basically the coolest thing ever in the whole world. They are little hard pasta-looking wagon wheels that you put in the microwave for about 20 seconds (put them on a paper towel and arrange in a ring pattern for best effect) and they puff up about 10x their original volume into what are basically non-animal pork rinds. If you gave them to 10 people and said they were pork rinds, I bet 8 or 9 wouldn't know the difference. But again, I have no idea how healthy these are.

But I often find myself reaching for microwave popcorn (not very good for me with the "butter" kind I get), crackers, stuff that's probably not too healthy.

Anyone have suggestions for stuff I can keep around to munch on and not worry too much about? Snacks that don't spoil are preferred, though I will usually eat vegetables in time if I keep them where I can see them in the fridge.

You were microwaving them? I guess that is healthier than the traditional way, which is flash frying them, then covering them with lemon/lime juice and chile. Those are damn good.
I second the nuts recommendatuion. Consider the crack of the nut world, the sunflower seed (or pumpkin seed, which I prefer but it is harder to find).
Dried fruit are excellnt also.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rice Cakes, if you like them, they make different flavors.

Edamame (soybeans), usually come frozen so you would need to boil them for 5 minutes.

I actually consider dark chocolate bars (70%+ cocoa) a fairly healthy snack (some people will disagree) and they are filling so you only eat a small piece.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Rice Cakes, if you like them, they make different flavors.

Edamame (soybeans), usually come frozen so you would need to boil them for 5 minutes.

I actually consider dark chocolate bars (70%+ cocoa) a fairly healthy snack (some people will disagree) and they are filling so you only eat a small piece.

All three are excellent suggestions IMHO! I forgot about edamame, I go through masses of the stuff!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Planters mixed nuts. I like the tin with macadamias, cashews, and almonds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads