• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Healthy Lunch for grad student

Reaction score
I typically try to bring my lunch to school to avoid paying $10 for crappy sandwiches at my school's cafeteria or the greasy pizza that comes with lunch lectures.

Any suggestions on healthy lunch I could make and bring to school aside from sandwiches (my daily go-to). I can store in a communal fridge if need be.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love having the access to fridge - that's going to be really helpful so you don't have to lug a cooler around.

So many options - I usually make some type of a meat and a side of veggies/brown rice/etc..

If you really want to go healthy, batch make some lean meats/chicken breasts every few days, and use mainly veggies for sides. Many places from your local grocery stores to Trader Joes to Whole Foods have prefabricated but still healthy meats - still raw but marinated/seasoned/etc. Sometimes I just buy like a marinated pork roast or 4x 1/2 lbs burger patties (seasoned or stuffed or something) and make those sunday night so I have lunch/dinner covered for at least a couple days.

Next few days I will primarily be eating bratwurst + buttered cabbage or beef curry which I made over the weekend.

Cosmonaut

Reaction score
Just get some good pasta (either good spaghetti or good penne) and some good pesto. Mix those together with some good vegetables (good yellow peppers and good mushrooms are always good). Top it with some good parmigiano reggiano and you're set. Serve it chilled. If you want, buy some good artisan bread on the way to school and eat it with your pasta.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut
Just get some good pasta (either good spaghetti or good penne) and some good pesto. Mix those together with some good vegetables (good yellow peppers and good mushrooms are always good). Top it with some good parmigiano reggiano and you're set. Serve it chilled. If you want, buy some good artisan bread on the way to school and eat it with your pasta.

this is clearly
spam[1].gif
for good inc.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sunnydale
I'm a believer in wheat being a health problem for many. Avoiding it has done me good and family at least, and I've read not eating it helping others too.

I agree with you. Anybody else have any good simple recipes for meat vegetable dishes I can put in a tupperware container?

virus646

Reaction score
Wheat is mostly carbohydrate. That explains its capacity to cause blood sugar to increase after eating, say, a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread. The rapid release of sugars likely underlies its capacity to create visceral fat, what I call "wheat belly."
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...me-gluten.html

I stopped reading after that. What a load of BS.

Flambeur gave the best advice. Cook lean meats(chicken breast,lean beef, turkey) in bulk, cook brown rice/couscous in bulk, cook some good pasta for 1-2 days. Pack all those in little tupperware for the week. Add some fruits, pieces of whole wheat bread, veggies and some nuts for snacks and there you go, you now have an healthy diet at a low cost.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
this is clearly
spam[1].gif
for good inc.

Originally Posted by Cosmonaut
Who do you think you are? Ina Garten? Buy yourself a large container of greens (such as spinach, arugula, mizuna, etc.) and some canned salmon or tuna. Keep separate until ready to eat, mix together, add some balsamic vinegar and good olive oil, and consume. This is what I do most days. You can sub in any protein really and add as many vegetables your budding heart desires.

Cosmonaut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Who do you think you are? Ina Garten?

Buy yourself a large container of good greens (such as good spinach, good arugula, good mizuna, good etc.) and some good canned salmon or good tuna. Keep separate until ready to eat, mix together, add some good balsamic vinegar and good olive oil, and consume. This is what I do most days. You can sub in any good protein really and add as many good vegetables your budding heart desires.

This is a good suggestion also.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in law school, my wife made me a lunch with a peanut butter and honey sandwich, a bag of baby carrots, a couple of Diet Mt. Dews, and usually a Hostess cupcake or some Oreos. I had a soft-sided insulated lunch tote that I would carry to school. I ate this same lunch menu, or some very minor variation of it, every single day for three years of law school.

I can't imagine how many hundreds of PBH sandwiches I must have eaten. I still love them to this day, though.
smile.gif
It also probably helped that I was running 30-40 miles a week at the time. I probably could have eaten Snickers bars and milkshakes and still kept relatively fit.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Example of what I've made at home to take with me the last week or so:

-Italian Sausage (bought raw organic)
-Meatloaf (home made from grass-fed beef)
-Cubed pork (pan fried)
-Lamb burgers (raw patties from whole foods)

My sides are usually in-season fruits and veggies, etc.

I think the optimal mix for me is cooking 2-4 times a week, storing stuff in the fridge, and occasionally using canned tuna or other stuff like that.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think I respond to every meal question with this answer, but get some pitas (make them from scratch if you're poor but skilled - they freeze well, and you can get tons of bread out of like $1.50 in ingredients).. get dried chickpeas and tahini from an ethnic/mediterranean market and make some hummus (use fresh garlic, but not too much, it gets intense after the hummus spends a few days in the fridge)... make a simple salad of iceberg, tomatoes, cucumber, onions, olive, and parsley dressed in lemon juice and olive oil and s+p... I'd be happy to eat that most days and it's cheap and good for several days of eating. Optional: hot sauce, tzatziki-like sauce.
If you need more protein, marinate some chicken breasts in some kebab spices, grill/pan-sear, cool and chop, and bring along and re-heat as necessary.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Learn to cook with dried beans ... buy them bulk ... will save you a lot of money and produce healthy nutritious meals.

E.g. get 1 pound dried red kidney beans. Soak overnight. Rinse, return to pot, add water, bring to vigorous boil, skim off scummy bubbles on top, discard, simmer. Add whatever you like. Call it stew, chili, red beans, whatever.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I think I respond to every meal question with this answer, but get some pitas (make them from scratch if you're poor but skilled - they freeze well, and you can get tons of bread out of like $1.50 in ingredients).. get dried chickpeas and tahini from an ethnic/mediterranean market and make some hummus (use fresh garlic, but not too much, it gets intense after the hummus spends a few days in the fridge)... make a simple salad of iceberg, tomatoes, cucumber, onions, olive, and parsley dressed in lemon juice and olive oil and s+p... I'd be happy to eat that most days and it's cheap and good for several days of eating. Optional: hot sauce, tzatziki-like sauce.
If you need more protein, marinate some chicken breasts in some kebab spices, grill/pan-sear, cool and chop, and bring along and re-heat as necessary.

If I make hummus, how long will it keep? Can I freeze it?
How long does tahini keep? I bought some tahini and dried chickpies but have not yet made hummus and the tahini (from wholefoods in a plastic container) has just been sitting in the fridge

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads