• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Health issues associated with tight jeans??

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone has seen information regarding slim jeans and any ill-health effects associated with them? Call me paranoid, but I swear that some troubles I had recently, a hernia and lipoma(in the same region) were some how related to wearing slim jeans for the last 3 years or so. Now it is almost impossible for me to wear anykind of slim jeans without fatigue and discomfort.

Maybe I'm just bitter
plain.gif

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone has seen information regarding slim jeans and any ill-health effects associated with them? Call me paranoid, but I swear that some troubles I had recently, a hernia and lipoma(in the same region) were some how related to wearing slim jeans for the last 4 years or so. Now it is almost impossible for me to wear anykind of slim jeans without fatigue and discomfort.

Maybe I'm just bitter
plain.gif

Jesus. How tight do you wear your jeans? There are generations before us who wore slim clothing without problems.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They weren't too tight, all my jeans would be a similar fit to crate jeans. Probably a better example out there, but that is the only example I could think of.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, duh, put too much pressure on your guts/body and it gets unhappy. See: Foot binding, corsetry, etc. Stretching jeans 4 sizes up isn't much different. Stiff denim isn't exactly forgiving.

Oltmann

Reaction score
There is some stuff out there on tight pants causing meralgia parasthetica (pinched nerve in the thigh,) dyspermia (male infertility,) and vaginosis (you probably don't need to worry about that,) but nothing that suggests them as a cause of hernia.

I would sort of expect tight jeans to act like a truss, and prevent hernia. But, perhaps they make you posterior chain less flexible, and cause poor posture when bending and lifting.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oltmann

I would sort of expect tight jeans to act like a truss, and prevent hernia.

That is what I sort of thought. I don't know, it may just be a problem with me...

vanity

Reaction score
I have some jeans that will make my legs numb if I sit too long. So I straighten them out and all is well again. Other than that, no issues.

nastyandy

Reaction score
I don't know what lipoma is, but some people are genetically predisposed to hernias, and I doubt tight jeans will cause them. However, they can keep pressure on the herniated tissue, pushing solid tissue through the tear, and thus causing the pains associated with a hernia.

Last week I had a stomach virus, and I swore for a few hours that I had damaged my stomach lining by trying to stretch out a new pair of jeans. In retrospect, I think we all tend to get paranoid when we're suffering maladies/illness and the like.

So I doubt that your problems were caused by your jeans, but it's very likely that tight jeans have amplified the discomfort associated with your conditions.

On a happier note, I received the denim racing jacket today and it's ******* sick! Perfect weight for the spring, especially since I am prone to get hot easily, much bettr for me than my other denim jackets. Can't wait 'til I can wear it out.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I'm guessing you had an inguinal hernia and not a femoral one, right, Michael?

Oltmann's thought process was pretty close with regards to the jeans serving as support and andy was right about the genetic predisposition. Some people's inguinal canals are weaker than others and can be perferated with less stress than others.

The jeans also wouldn't cause your lipoma which is kind of uncommon for someone your age and sometimes considered hereditary. Did the lipoma appear after the inguinal hernia?

Ok, enough with the med chatter. Feel better.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey andy, great to hear you like the jacket so much. Love to see pics of you wearing the jacket in the waywn or my affliate thread...

Whodini, yes it was inguinal and the lipoma was taken care of the same time as the hernia. I don't which one came first...

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
It's come up a number of times that tight jeans cause reproductive system damage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads