• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heads up: Thin Red Line shoe sale

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anders
I asked TRL if the GBP115 price included VAT or not and this is his response:

Damn - Well, I'm curious to see what they come back with.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the suede Chukkas, I'm considering ordering a pair. Can anyone who received theirs comment on sizing? I couldn't find anything specifically on this when I searched. I'm a US 10.5 and I'm guessing for this I should only go down a half size to a UK 10.

Thanks!

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the black wingtips I ordered in 9.5 were just a bit too narrow for me. If anyone wants to buy them, let me know.

For those of you wondering about sizing, I wear UK10 in other brands (UK10E in C&J), but I ordered 9.5 since that's what was listed as equivalent to EUR44 on their site (my other non-UK European shoes are size EUR44).

Anders

Reaction score
I decided to go to Brooks Brothers and try on their Peal/AS shoes (apparent by the double row of nails) to figure out sizing . The size listed on both the box and shoe were US sizes and did not list the UK size. Does anyone have experience on US Peal/AS sizes compared to the UK TRL/AS sizes?

Thanks.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Regarding the suede Chukkas, I'm considering ordering a pair. Can anyone who received theirs comment on sizing? I couldn't find anything specifically on this when I searched. I'm a US 10.5 and I'm guessing for this I should only go down a half size to a UK 10.

Thanks!

I wear a 12 or 12.5 US depending on the maker and the last. I bought the chukkas in 12 UK because they didn't have any 11.5s. They fit well with a very thin insole or with thick socks. I think a 1/2 size down would have been perfect.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great to know. Thanks Saint!

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Peals in US 13D fit just like my Sargents in UK 12EE. Perhaps an F width would be ever slightly wider.

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I normally take a US size 11D or 10.5E. If there was ever a size 10 3/4 in widths between size D and E, that would be my ideal shoe size. Typically the translation is US11 = UK10.5, not a full size down as some might have thought.

However in this case, I went with the UK10F and found that it was snug at first but after wearing for a few hours, it was just perfect for me, almost as if moulded to my leg. If anything, I would go for a full size down from the US size, i.e. if you take a US 10D or E, UK9F should be right for you.

The somewhat generous fitting of the last and the suppleness of the leather means that if the shoe fits slightly loose or even just right initially, it might run 1/2 size loose after several wear.

The sizing confusion is possibly the result of the difference in people's perception of what an ideal fit is; some like it loose while others like it tighter so as to let the leather mold over time for that perfect fit. The latter preference works well for supple calf leather such as the shoe in question here. Also, some people's fit swell alot more than others over the course of the day and may wish to opt for 1/2 size larger.

This was extremely helpful - thanks.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone returned the shoes to Thin Red Line from the USA? How does that work?

I got some of the black suede loafers in size 10 UK and they dont fit.

I want to send them back... but have never sent a package outside of the USA.

If any SF member wants them, i will sell them for less than what i paid. I assume sending a package to the UK is a bit of work.

marin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
Has anyone returned the shoes to Thin Red Line from the USA? How does that work?

I got some of the black suede loafers in size 10 UK and they dont fit.

I want to send them back... but have never sent a package outside of the USA.

If any SF member wants them, i will sell them for less than what i paid. I assume sending a package to the UK is a bit of work.

My experience with other UK merchants (Tyrwhitt, Lewin, etc.) is that it's very easy. Use the enclosed return label, stick it on the box, drop it off at the PO. I haven't tried this with TRL, but I expect it would be very similar.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
Unfortunately, the black wingtips I ordered in 9.5 were just a bit too narrow for me. If anyone wants to buy them, let me know.

Too bad it's not a 9.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone has any issues with there shoes in a 10UK and they don't want them, PM and let me know how much you want.
smile.gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone has problem with their 7.5 also let me know
wink.gif

Macallan9

Reaction score
Anybody still not received their orders? Getting somewhat concerned...

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
Anybody still not received their orders? Getting somewhat concerned...

You should send them an email and ask for tracking number...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads