• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heads Up! RLPL suits for £180!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I kid you not!

Anyone in the UK, head over to the Polo Outlet in Bicester. Quickly!

And enjoy!

RLPL suits marked down from an initial 2000 Euros retail (and £700 initial outlet price) to just £180. Be warned, the labels still say £700, but ask the salesperson to do a price check and they come back as £180. And they think that the prices MAY come down further over the next couple of weeks as they try to clear out remaining summer stock.

They are few and far between in the store, with only some sizes represented, but astonishingly I found 2 in my size and at that price I couldn't resist buying. So I'm now the proud owner of two lovely new summer suits that will also work wonderfully well as separates:

1) A tropical weight wool pale cream suit - 2BSB, ticket pocket, tailored fit, cuffs still basted, with double forward pleats and side fasteners on the trousers.
2) A fairly hefty wheat-coloured 100% linen suit - same design features except it's a 3-2 roll. The heavy linen suits the lapel roll wonderfully.

Both just need the buttons attached to the cuffs and buttonholes made and the trousers hemming and they will be summer staples in my wardrobe for years to come! I'm also going to change the buttons on the cream one to something like tortoiseshell or a lookalike.

Also, there are some RLPL shoes there - some opera pumps, some slippers and what may have been EG Dovers priced at £190 (size 11 I think)! They did not say Purple Label on the inside, but the Ralph Lauren name was in the same calligraphy font and the nail pattern on the heel looked like EG (EG has triplets of nails, right?). It looked good, whoever made it.

Be warned, the shoes are generally in the larger sizes, though some of Polo "Benchmade in England" (I think C&J Benchgrades) in stock are in smaller sizes.

Anyway, happy hunting if you do get the chance to visit.

Apologies for cross-posting this here and at AAAC, but I figured those who don't read both would appreciate the heads-up!

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good looking out for our UK brothers

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would seem to be a nice time to visit my cousin in Highgate.

Strokeman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I kid you not!

Anyone in the UK, head over to the Polo Outlet in Bicester. Quickly!

And enjoy!

RLPL suits marked down from an initial 2000 Euros retail (and £700 initial outlet price) to just £180. Be warned, the labels still say £700, but ask the salesperson to do a price check and they come back as £180. And they think that the prices MAY come down further over the next couple of weeks as they try to clear out remaining summer stock.

They are few and far between in the store, with only some sizes represented, but astonishingly I found 2 in my size and at that price I couldn't resist buying. So I'm now the proud owner of two lovely new summer suits that will also work wonderfully well as separates:

1) A tropical weight wool pale cream suit - 2BSB, ticket pocket, tailored fit, cuffs still basted, with double forward pleats and side fasteners on the trousers.
2) A fairly hefty wheat-coloured 100% linen suit - same design features except it's a 3-2 roll. The heavy linen suits the lapel roll wonderfully.

Both just need the buttons attached to the cuffs and buttonholes made and the trousers hemming and they will be summer staples in my wardrobe for years to come! I'm also going to change the buttons on the cream one to something like tortoiseshell or a lookalike.

Also, there are some RLPL shoes there - some opera pumps, some slippers and what may have been EG Dovers priced at £190 (size 11 I think)! They did not say Purple Label on the inside, but the Ralph Lauren name was in the same calligraphy font and the nail pattern on the heel looked like EG (EG has triplets of nails, right?). It looked good, whoever made it.

Be warned, the shoes are generally in the larger sizes, though some of Polo "Benchmade in England" (I think C&J Benchgrades) in stock are in smaller sizes.

Anyway, happy hunting if you do get the chance to visit.

Apologies for cross-posting this here and at AAAC, but I figured those who don't read both would appreciate the heads-up!

Which college Holdfast? Sodham? The House? The Oriel? Johns?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your find! It sounds like you picked up some great suits!!

Strokeman

Reaction score
^ Lincoln. Matriculated 1996.

Ah, lovely library and front quad and, rarely, purely mediaeval. Good Hall too - lucky bugger...

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all my outlet has are dorky lauren outlet suits.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great find. I don't remember ever came across any RLPL at any Polo factory outlets in the States.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
And here I was delighted to find two PL knit ties!

May be a tie here or a shirt there, nothing major like RLPL suits or EG shoes.

The outlet I frequented most were the ones in Woodbury Commons, Manchester VT and Riverhead NY. Although I haven't been there for quite sometime. May be it's just a selected few outlets that got the prized RLPL.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never seen a RLPL item in an outlet. Maybe a size XXXXL sweater or something.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re: RLPL in outlets. I think the UK does well in this regard because the Bicester outlet gets its stock direct from the overflow from the Bond Street store.

The Polo outlet in Bicester nearly always has some RLPL - and the beauty is they get marked down very, very heavily as the outlet's rather broad range of customers can't sustain the PL vs Polo price differential. I almost never buy Polo there except button-downs and occasionally sweaters. I just skim for RLPL items on heavy discount.

Usually it's ties - generally single colour satins and square-end knits (though I've picked up some more interesting ones too inc a paisley madder) and a selection of shirts (currently some Keatons and some very extravagant paisleys though I've also picked up linen shirts and cotton buttondowns too). There are usually about a dozen RLPL suits and an equal number of jackets but they're all mixed in with the Polo stuff (and Polo Jeans, etc, etc) so you have to search.

The opera pumps and the slippers have both been there for ages, the likely EG Dovers are new this visit. The CJ Benchgrades are currently more plentiful now but they're usually around.

The other thing is that the store is very lazy about updating pricetags esp. when busy and at clearance sales. So the sticker price stays high but the barcode reader is updated. It pays to get staff to pricecheck any RLPL you like, even if the sticker price is too high for you. I wasn't going to pay £700 for these suits and expected them to pricecheck at about £350 at which price I may have got one (but probably not). When it came back at £180, I was so stunned I got them to double-check!
smile.gif

When they said it was possible prices would fall further in the next few weeks, I was even cheeky enough to push for an extra discount. This was refused with a grin by the manager. I was so happy anyway I couldn't keep a straight face to bargain more!

Originally Posted by Strokeman
Ah, lovely library and front quad and, rarely, purely mediaeval. Good Hall too - lucky bugger...

Good wine cellar too! What about you? Sounds like you know the place well!

Strokeman

Reaction score
Good wine cellar too! What about you? Sounds like you know the place well!

Up the Turl, right hand side, opposite the Welsh one, 2001. A most wonderful experience - punting, pimms, croquet, May Balls and Eights Week. I suppose Walter's and E&R are favourites of yours?
inlove.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Ah, virtually neighbours!

E&R is most definitely a favourite.

Walters? Acceptable, though range is somewhat limited. But you can at least get a decent cut there...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads