• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Headhunter Question

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
The distinction between retained search and contingency is a meaningful one, Stockwell. I'm glad you laid it out -- I was aware of that distinction but did not have it in mind when I posted.
I hope my earlier post was sufficiently clear that the bad practices I referred to are not employed by all in your profession. I do think they are, unfortunately, fairly prevalent among those who work on commission. But it's also true that because one's negative experiences tend to be memorable, a few bad apples can spoil it for a lot of ethical, professional people.
Anyway, if you feel that I in any way painted with too broad a brush, my apologies.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Thanks for your followup, Stockwell. It is clear that you are a credit to your profession.

Bic

muelleran

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the very interesting discussion.

I'll keep you updated about my experiences, like I said, in general they have been very positive.
"As to the OP's original question... The recruiters manner of communication with you does sound odd. I suspect it is just a recruiter that is just not very good at her job, since your typical experience has been positive."
I do think so, her communication skills are not very good, on the phone she appears nervous und uptight.

"Who knows when that person might be the right fit for a position down the road, may be able to help you on another search, or may even be a client one day."
That's what I expect her to do.

Finally, in response to rhold about gaining access to the "decision makers," typically if you are straight forward in your request they will get back to you. No respectable retained search firm will use lies or deceit in the process
She did lie to our secretary to gain acces to me, however that gives me a chance to take her call without admitting, at least to our secretary, that I do want to talk to headhunters.

There are two different types of executive search. Retained executive search and contingency.
Thanks for making that clear.
One of the things I want to find out from the lady who called me ist with what firms they have retained search agreements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads