• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

headhunter question

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
IMO it's rather hard to maintain a relationship with a headhunter unless you get some face time. Even if you don't plan on taking this job, if it doesn't interfere with your schedule, it might be wise to go in for a talk and discuss this position further with them and develop a contact.
I agree with your conclusion, but respectfully disagree with the suggestion that it's hard to maintain a useful relationship. I think it depends on the headhunter. Crappier ones are just trolling for quick hits, and you're probably right that it would be difficult (and not worth the effort) to maintain an ongoing relationship without any immediate prospect of a payoff. But better headhunters with a longer-term career view (and/or who just genuinely enjoy networking/relationships or just happen to have some interests in common with you) are easy to maintain a relationship with.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
GT, meet with the HH. Give that person your resume and keep in yearly contact with them by giving them an updated resume. Also, help the HH. I got a call from an HH a couple of weeks ago. I'm really not looking to leave, just signed a five year contract, but I keep track of market data points for pay, scope of duties, etc. and keep up the networking just because you never know.
I agree with Pio (no, really). Headhunters are all about networking and relationships. They are almost always happy to maintain a relationship, not just because they may be able to place you someday, but because you're a potential source of referrals, general industry intelligence, etc. I keep in very casual contact with 3 or 4 headhunters in my field I've crossed paths with over the years -- casual contact meaning I chat with them maybe once a year unless I'm referring them a friend or something. It's enough to maintain friendly familiarity. Over the years I've referred a couple of candidates to them, at least one of which garnered one of them a very large placement fee (and, of course, every person you refer to them is himself another source of potential referrals), so it's certainly with the minimal investment of effort required from them. One of them served as a helpful sounding board a few years back when I was considering whether to take my current job -- even though she had nothing to do with arranging it (my agency doesn't use headhunters, so she didn't have to worry about interfering with someone else's client relationship) and had no prospect for direct economic benefit.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
some good advice, thanks - keep it coming.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the idea of trying to maintain some sort "relationship" with a HH is somewhat naive, unless it's someone you know personally. Sure, there are a few HHs that work this way, but it's a pretty small minority. If you're going to look for a job 3 years from now it's probably pointless, the vast majority of HHs will simply push whatever resume they've most recently come across rather than try to remember someone they talked to years ago. I mean, it can't hurt but I wouldn't expect much to come out of it.

Milpool

Reaction score
Maybe I just haven't hit the level where HHs are willing to put in the kind of work required to maintain a relationship over the years in order to realize future payoffs. IME, they are focused on the position in front of them, not the possible position a year or five down the road.

That said, at high levels, I would imagine relationship building becomes absolutely crucial.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads