• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Headed to Montreal

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I don't know what your definition of hip is.

This probably doesn't help, but the West Village.

lefty

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
This probably doesn't help, but the West Village.

lefty

Plateau is definitely the most lively neighborhood, but there's a lot of weird people (hippies and potheads) milling about there!

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mile End > Plateau (though some may argue it is technically a part of the Plateau)

It's got a weirder crowd, cheaper beer, better shows and bagels.

Histrion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Mile End > Plateau (though some may argue it is technically a part of the Plateau)

Yeah, just a tad less convenient than some area of the Plateau, IMO. But it is precisely where I want to move to. I'd love live quite close to the metro and be within walking distance (10 min) from Fairmount/St-Laurent as well as Laurier, where my favourite hangouts are located.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw

Oh, for sure. I said Plateau, but more specifically the Mile End is where it'd be at for me. Dieu Du Ciel, BU, and about a million Indian restaurants. I'd be content.

What's the housing cost like in that area? If I were to move from my own beloved city (which I very much considered until taking a nationwide roadtrip this summer and realizing I have a great thing going on here), it'd be to Montreal or NYC.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
Yeah, just a tad less convenient than some area of the Plateau, IMO. But it is precisely where I want to move to. I'd love live quite close to the metro and be within walking distance (10 min) from Fairmount/St-Laurent as well as Laurier, where my favourite hangouts are located.
There's no metro nearby Mile End, is there? I remember having to walk from St. Denis maybe 7-8 blocks to reach the brewpub.

Histrion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
There's no metro nearby Mile End, is there? I remember having to walk from St. Denis maybe 7-8 blocks to reach the brewpub.

The two closest metro are Mont-Royal and Laurier. I think they're about equal distance from Fairmount/St-Laurent, but I could be way off.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Plateau is definitely the most lively neighborhood, but there's a lot of weird people (hippies and potheads) milling about there!

So it's more East Village?

Not sure I approve of hippies.

lefty

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Les Halles
Montreal Symphony
Musee des Beaux Arts
Kojax
Crescent St.

A great restaurant; a great orchestra (even during the recent downturn); a much improved museum; the best fast food ever -- get the mild sauce; bars and clubs galore, if you are into that.

All on or just off St Catherines.

Stay? Ritz Carlton, of course. :)

Enjoy one of the best cities but don't go in winter.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Les Halles
Montreal Symphony
Musee des Beaux Arts
Kojax
Crescent St.

A great restaurant; a great orchestra (even during the recent downturn); a much improved museum; the best fast food ever -- get the mild sauce; bars and clubs galore, if you are into that.

All on or just off St Catherines.

Stay? Ritz Carlton, of course. :)

Enjoy one of the best cities but don't go in winter.

I believe Les Halles is closed, although it's been years since i've been. There's tons of other great restaurants though. The Ritz is also the last place I'd stay in Montreal. There's too many interesting boutique hotels that I'd prefer to stay at first. Anyway, he's already back. :p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics