• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Headed to Mexico (Mayan Riviera)

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
exactly where? the myana rivierra is a fairly large.

if you want general sugestions
i would say go to campeche it is low key but well maintained small city. it is nice to relax mainly because not many tourist go there.
playa de carmen if you want drunk and party.
price wise you would proabaly consider campeche cheap and playa exspensive.
but there are dozens of other places

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The place I'm going to be staying at is the Aventura Spa Palace in Puerto Aventuras.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just took off my Puerto Aventuras baseball cap!

Anyway, it was a while ago when I went but it was a gorgeous area as I recall. Be sure you get some Maya ruins in (Chichen Itza is the most impressive but really deserves a full day, which means spending the night including drive time, or you could do Tulum.

jqbomb

Reaction score
I haven't personally been down to Riviera Maya yet, but my folks spent a month down there last winter and raved about a restaurant called John Gray's Kitchen. It's in that general Puerto Aventuras/Morelos area. I recommended it to another friend and he liked it a lot as well. The place has a pretty good reputation online too...

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chitzen Itza and Tulum are very nice. Coba is a largely unrestored ruin site and well off the beaten path if you want to see something different. If you really want to get off the beaten path you could go to Punto Allen but there's not much to do there. Tulum has some fun night time beach life and is popular with the backpacker set.

deaddog

Reaction score
Highly recommend Tulum as an authentic town. The beaches (and beach bars) there are superb and very laid back. Where you are, by PA, the best beach is a place called Xpu Ha. Coba is very cool to wander through the jungle ruins. Be sure to snorkel a cenote - but don't dive unless you're a certified cave diver.

Get a car a drive around - its easy. But, remember how they turn left - they signal left and then pull off to the right shoulder to wait for traffic to clear. Seriously, watch out.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Puerto Aventura has too many large, all-inclusive hotels for my liking. Aside from being an architectural marvel the general concensus with Chichen Itza seems to be that it certainly isn't worth the 6 hour roundtrip bus ride from Tulum, etc. Unless you're REALLY set on seeing it.
Originally Posted by deaddog
Highly recommend Tulum as an authentic town. The beaches (and beach bars) there are superb and very laid back. Where you are, by PA, the best beach is a place called Xpu Ha. Coba is very cool to wander through the jungle ruins. Be sure to snorkel a cenote - but don't dive unless you're a certified cave diver. Get a car a drive around - its easy. But, remember how they turn left - they signal left and then pull off to the right shoulder to wait for traffic to clear. Seriously, watch out.
Tulum is phenomenal. Considering its proximity to the shithole that is Cancun, its a wonder that, aside from the temple/ruins, the beaches, etc are relatively quiet 24 hours a day. Most of the hotels are really nice, small boutiques. No frat guys, no mega resorts, no one hawking **** to you on the beach, crystal clear warm water, white sand. It's amazing. Having been to beaches everywhere from Egypt to Malaysia to California I can tell you that Tulum is one of the best in the world. I stayed here when I went and loved it. 7 rooms total, excellent service, amazing food, and run by an Australian couple: http://mezzanine.com.mx/hotel/index.html
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Chitzen Itza and Tulum are very nice. Coba is a largely unrestored ruin site and well off the beaten path if you want to see something different. If you really want to get off the beaten path you could go to Punto Allen but there's not much to do there. Tulum has some fun night time beach life and is popular with the backpacker set.
I think the only night time beach party in Tulum is the Mezannine's thing on Friday nights. I was there for a week and would go walking on the beach for miles at night without seeing another soul. There are a few $5 per night hammock backpacker hotels on the outskirts of Tulum's beaches but I wouldn't say it's particularly popular with backpackers; the town of Tulum (about 12-15 miles from the beach) does attract some European stoner hippies but that seems to be it. Most of the hotels around the beach are pretty pricey.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread here, but I'm actually going on a trip to Tulum during the second half of May with my girlfriend. EnglandMJ7's post helped to make the decision. In the end we decided to go with a smaller boutique place called Playa Mambo, (website only in Spanish) the price is right and should deliver the simple R&R we're looking for.

Thanks for the tip on Mezzanine and Zamas. Will try to check out the party on Friday night.

I'll update after the trip. Looking forward to it.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had an awesome trip there, would definitely go back again. I found that if you try to speak Spanish to the staff, they really appreciate it and go out of their way to give you good service. But I'm not sure if the same is true if you're actually a native Spanish speaker.

darnelled

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
The place I'm going to be staying at is the Aventura Spa Palace in Puerto Aventuras.

If heading into Cancun, got to the high-end hotel of the palace resorts- Le Blanc Resort and Spa. I'm pretty sure they have the stay at one play at all deal. Get a reservation to eat dinner at one of the restaurants in as much advance as you can (pants and no open toe shoes).

In Mayan Riviera, spend a day snorkeling at Xel- Ha. I'd avoid all of the Mayan ruins.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darnelled
If heading into Cancun, got to the high-end hotel of the palace resorts- Le Blanc Resort and Spa. I'm pretty sure they have the stay at one play at all deal. Get a reservation to eat dinner at one of the restaurants in as much advance as you can (pants and no open toe shoes).

In Mayan Riviera, spend a day snorkeling at Xel- Ha. I'd avoid all of the Mayan ruins.

Unfortunately, this thread is from last October.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads