• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

He got fired because he was better dressed than the Boss?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not a lawyer, but if a company can't fire you for wearing clothes it considers ridiculous, that seems quite unfair. On the other end, what if dude was dressed shabbily? Company can't fire him for that either, if it's paying enough where it could reasonably expect the employee to afford something decent?

At least in the USA, you can be fired for any reason, as long as it's not an illegal reason. For example, there's nothing illegal about firing all people with green eyes.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(if this is not a troll)

OP, your friend is stupid. He does not realize that he can look sharp going biz casual or whatever the dress code was???

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The boss may be the biggest dick in the world, but he still pays your friend's paycheck. I would have suggested he listen to his boss or get a new job if the demands are truly unreasonable.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind the OPs friend is in the EU; their laws are different, particularly when it comes to a human rights complaint.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Let me be the first to say that this thread could be a pivotal moment in the history of civil rights.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would imagine Op is not in a English Speaking country. I don’t want to be rude to OP but this is impossible in First world country as there are many employee rights protection groups formed by the government and unfair dismissal like this would only earn this guy a lot of money in Compenssions.

Last edited:

emc894

Reaction score
If a Managing Director or above showed up at my firm in double breasted suits and pocket squares, he would get funny looks and clients would probably think he was too slick. If anyone else did they would be told to go change.

Your friend is an idiot, why alienate yourself in your bosses eyes?

Ingenieur

Reaction score
That's not the story the boss told me. Apparently OP's friend was frontin', playing off lined 6-fold ties as 7-fold and was found out. Of course OP will deny this, "knowing" that his friend always wears a genuine 7-fold. Clearly OP, this is a strong relationship, and one you should cherish.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a real interesting issue in the workplace about dress code at one of the companies I worked for. I wasn't the line manager so thank god I didn't have to deal with it. A kid decided he wanted to dress up like a woman, he was basically in obvious drag. He couldn't get fired for obvious reasons (this was in the U.K). Basically they just enforced the company rules really strictly until he was fired. 5 minutes late? Verbal warning. Wearing open toed shoes? written warning, not wearing name badge? another warning etc etc. Theres ways of managing people out of businesses even in Europe and its not that difficult.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, lawyer talk here from a lawyer, and I hope those who have urged suing are not attorneys (and if they are, I assume they are decked out in polyester). First of all, this never happened. Arguendo, if it did, the general rule in the USA is that employment is a week to week contract, terminable at will by either party. The employer may not fire someone for reasons that go against basic public policy however (race, gender, pregnancy, etc.) Some states have somewhat more stringent laws. As Vox pointed out, the expensively dressed neither require nor receive such special treatment, as they already run the world and have already fucked it up beyond all belief. Okay, the last phrase was mine and not Burt's.

EDIT: "expensively dressed" for "well dressed".

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had a real interesting issue in the workplace about dress code at one of the companies I worked for. I wasn't the line manager so thank god I didn't have to deal with it. A kid decided he wanted to dress up like a woman, he was basically in obvious drag. He couldn't get fired for obvious reasons (this was in the U.K). Basically they just enforced the company rules really strictly until he was fired. 5 minutes late? Verbal warning. Wearing open toed shoes? written warning, not wearing name badge? another warning etc etc. Theres ways of managing people out of businesses even in Europe and its not that difficult.

Now he/she needs a lawyer. :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads