1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

He got fired because he was better dressed than the Boss?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Young Gentleman, Mar 6, 2012.

1. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Maaate, you think? :smarmy:

2. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

And OP has not answered my question, re: Is that you, Wright / Reev? :confused:

3. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Why is it, then, that state and municipal employees have won wrongful termination lawsuits in federal court on First Amendment grounds? If you need cites, I can get them.

4. sns23

sns23 Senior member

Because it was a government employee. The government may not place unconstitutional burdens on persons, including employees. However, a private person cannot commit a constitutional violation (generally). The bill of rights only protects you from federal government action and the 14th Amendment applies it to the states.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

I often LOL reading the posts on SF. How funny to see young guys overly dressing and trying to be on a different level to where they are - job, age, status etc.

Your friend is clearly out of line and probably acts like a Douche.

Having said this, you all will think I'm a Douche for expressing my opinion.

6. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

How do the Powers That Be decide between a ban and a balefire?

7. Hedges

Hedges Well-Known Member

I will have to agree with you on this , i dont see any other way he would get fired!

8. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

9. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

There you go. Whether she prevails or not, someone's going to hire her. Someone's going to pay her to be on a stupid television talk show. She wins no matter what happens in court. Should be an interesting deposition: Q: So, did you look like this when you got hired? A: Actually, I didn't wear makeup to the interview.

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Not to belabor, just want to make sure I have it right.

City Hall can't fire Joe if he says the mayor sucks, but the Acme Corporation can fire Steve for saying the CEO sucks. That actually makes sense.

11. sns23

sns23 Senior member

Pretty much.

12. HEARTLESS-531

HEARTLESS-531 Senior member

I disagree. I think it would make a great lawsuit. And yes, there are lawyers willing to take a case like that. And I'm sure one of the terms would be firing the boss. If this whole thing is true.

13. sns23

sns23 Senior member

Of course you can always find a shady lawyer willing to take a case if you pay up front his or her $300 per hour fees. That does not mean it is a good case.

14. shilleck

shilleck Well-Known Member

What kind of a boss is that. That calls for a lawsuit right there.

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

If this were a client facing job, as it sounds, then I think that the issue was with the colors and patterns and had little to do with the brands. It sounds like his boss would simply prefer he dress in a subtle Fashion.

Politicians often wear expensive brands, even by SF standards, and the general public is rarely knowledgable of that fact.

My fiancé often wonders why I wear 'boring' colors and patterns, this is the reason. Not so much for the coworkers, but really for the clients. No one really wants to deal with the guy who dresses like he's at the club.

Ps. Stop trolling.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  16. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

If I was the boss, I'd be proud to have employees dressing sharply..and I'd probably step up my game too and order those bespoke suits..If I'm the boss, I should be the one encouraging everyone to dress well not put them down.

17. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Perhaps true, but keep in mind the premise here, troll or not, is that he was landing more contracts than most anyone else. Must've been doing something right, client-wise.

As for shady lawyers, there are plenty of publicity hounds who would take a case like this for peanuts. Their first call after signing the contingency papers would be to the networks.

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Being he top salesman is often a daunting task, ego is in play. His boss will have to explain himself, and what he will say is that the guy turned numbers but was a prima donna. Being top dog is a good reason to behave yourself, your co workers want you out so that they can steal your clients and if your boss is also required to turn out sales then he is just the same.

19. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I am not sure that this whole story isn't trolling.

but if it is, I would guess that there are still exaguraitons, and some things that didn't make it from the friend to the OP. I don't read this as the friend being the top performer and getting fired because of "dressing better than the boss". high performers can be high maintanace, but that probably just put to much strain on his boss, that I can understand. if the boss has asked him to adjust his behavior and he ignored it, then I can see why he would get fired.

also, if there customers were reacting to how he was dressed, and that didn't fit in with the way the boss wanted the sales meetings to go, that was a pretty good reason to fire him.

high level sales are complex and require team discipline, loose cannons are pains in the ass.

20. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Trolling would be my guess, the lack of OP responses leads one to conclude as such.

This is an interesting hypothetical scenario though...