1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

He got fired because he was better dressed than the Boss?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Young Gentleman, Mar 6, 2012.

1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

No. The quoted section deals with a handbook modifying the at will relationship and creating certain contractual rights (e.g. termination only with cause). There's nothing here mentioning a handbook or anything else that transformed OP's friend's employment from at-will to anything else.

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

This. You're all getting trolled

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm not a lawyer, but if a company can't fire you for wearing clothes it considers ridiculous, that seems quite unfair. On the other end, what if dude was dressed shabbily? Company can't fire him for that either, if it's paying enough where it could reasonably expect the employee to afford something decent?

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

We're back!

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

It is rare for a company's handbook to create contractual rights that would limit its ability to terminate employees at will. Most handbooks have a disclaimer expressly disavowing the creation of any contractual rights.

6. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

The OP's friend is going to be pissed when he gets the bill from this thread. Pretty sure we have accumulated a full day's worth of billing with these discussions.

And this makes my above statement all the funnier.

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I am amazed that so many people have taken this outlandish story seriously.

8. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Doesn't have to be a great lawsuit. It merely needs to be filed, and there are no shortage of alleged lawyers who would do that. An appearance on Good Morning America et al seals the deal, drawing publicity and a job offer from a firm where taste in dress is appreciated (such places do still exist).

The lawsuit might be weak (unless a public institution is involved, in which case you'd have a slam-dunk First Amendment issue--yes, the courts have interpreted dress as a manner of expression and therefore protected, particularly in a government setting), but I don't think it would cross the line into frivolous, and winnability is beside the point.

Even if we're being trolled, it is an interesting question. If he dressed like a slob or smelled or didn't wear any clothes at all, that would be one thing. But, end of the day, anyone who would fire a top performer because he dressed well is an ass, not an asset.

9. UncleCozy

UncleCozy Senior member

"within the rules of the company dress code"

There is a dress code for the workplace though, and he was given a oral warning that he was in breech of it. True, there is no mention of any publication that would change his at-will employment, but we do not really know at this point if there are any handbooks/publications (I can't find where the OP expressively denies any existance of such a publication), espescially since we aren't in direct contact with the OP's friend.

Wouldn't it also be hearsay if there hadn't been any formal notice from the boss? Word would go against word if it got to trial, boss could perjure if he is of such character.

10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

In the words of Doc Holiday (if memory serves): "One can only appreciate Allen Edmonds for so long."

11. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

At least in the USA, you can be fired for any reason, as long as it's not an illegal reason. For example, there's nothing illegal about firing all people with green eyes.

12. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

That you, Wright / Reev?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

(if this is not a troll)

OP, your friend is stupid. He does not realize that he can look sharp going biz casual or whatever the dress code was???

14. Mute

Mute Senior member

The boss may be the biggest dick in the world, but he still pays your friend's paycheck. I would have suggested he listen to his boss or get a new job if the demands are truly unreasonable.

15. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Keep in mind the OPs friend is in the EU; their laws are different, particularly when it comes to a human rights complaint.

16. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Let me be the first to say that this thread could be a pivotal moment in the history of civil rights.

1 person likes this.
  17. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I would imagine Op is not in a English Speaking country. I don’t want to be rude to OP but this is impossible in First world country as there are many employee rights protection groups formed by the government and unfair dismissal like this would only earn this guy a lot of money in Compenssions.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  18. emc894

emc894 Senior member

If a Managing Director or above showed up at my firm in double breasted suits and pocket squares, he would get funny looks and clients would probably think he was too slick. If anyone else did they would be told to go change.

Your friend is an idiot, why alienate yourself in your bosses eyes?

19. chogall

chogall Senior member

not until green eyes become a disability or a minority.

20. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Member

That's not the story the boss told me. Apparently OP's friend was frontin', playing off lined 6-fold ties as 7-fold and was found out. Of course OP will deny this, "knowing" that his friend always wears a genuine 7-fold. Clearly OP, this is a strong relationship, and one you should cherish.