1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

He got fired because he was better dressed than the Boss?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Young Gentleman, Mar 6, 2012.

1. sns23

sns23 Senior member

Since when is expensively dressed a protected class?

2. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Well, apparently it's a suspect class.

3. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

thats why he may have a unemployment case. Since he violated no rules in the handbook, supposedly. This all varies from state to state and since he is seeking another job its really just a waste of time to discuss this so im done here.

unless more humerus old timmy videos are posted.

4. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

This has been true since we took over many years ago.

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Files law suit. Appears in court at 9am... in formal morning dress. Judge laughs and holds him in contempt for being dressed too nicely. Man dies in prison.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Don't get bogged down in the actual statutes or case law. An injustice has been done to OP's friend and we will make new law to protect the arrogant who thumb their noses at their bosses' requests to dress appropriately. Attorney contact information has already been pm'd and my associates are currently working on drafting a complaint and a motion for a temporary restraining order. This is big!

7. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Again, assuming that this is a serious thread, and that the OP has provided all relevant details, I can see your summary as being reasonable. However, the account the OP provides raises significant questions: Why did the supervisor not deal with the employee by "stepping up his game" in his clothing, rather than punishing the employee? If the employer could not have afforded more upscale clothes, does that raise a possible issue of the terminated employee's having job skill(s) which the supervisor did not have? Does the supervisor's termination of the employee, which (on the basis of what we are told) seems to have been counterproductive for the company, raise possible questions about the supervisor's management abilities and priorities?

8. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

May justice prevail!

9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

You get as much justice as you can afford. Assuming his counsel accepts Saville Row garments as payment, I think this is an open and shut case.

10. sns23

sns23 Senior member

Excuse me while i lol

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The agreed upon fee is 50% of the TV/movie rights. If he murders his boss, this has Law & Order written all over it. If not, I'm thinking this is at least a Hallmark Hall of Fame or Lifetime movie of the week.

12. sns23

sns23 Senior member

Then please forward me your information so i can report you to your state bar for violating the professional rules of conduct. ;)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  13. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

:bounce2:

14. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

:worship:

15. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Excess of anything is bad

16. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

I thought for sure this was about dressing better than Bruce Springsteen. He is the only capital B.

17. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Lassie reference? :confused:

18. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Including moderation?

I found myself in a somewhat analogous situation when I traveled to Hong Kong with my boss. He asked me to help him find a tailor, and I offered up WW Chan. He was amazed and outraged by the prices I quoted, and we wound up with one of the saliva spraying shysters instead. He was thrilled with his "Two Suits, 6 Shirts, $600 US" deal, even though the workmanship and materials looked shoddy. As a certified I-Gent, I removed my monocle and shared my opinion of his clothing with him, resulting in my ejection with prejudice from the train to Guangzhou. Not really, but I was careful to tone down my style around him after that.

Ironically, the same guy thought nothing of dropping $5-10K in Macao and maintained a brokerage account with unlimited ATM withdrawals that he kept secret from his wife to feed his blackjack habit.

19. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I lol

20. UncleCozy

UncleCozy Senior member

I'm busy with Swedish law, else I'd delve deeper, but read up on what's considered a wrongful termination in California.

http://www.ca-employment-lawyers.com/Wrongful-Termination.htm
    In California, an employment contract of indefinite duration is generally deemed to be at the will of either party (Cal. Lab. Code § 2922). However, the "at will" relationship can be expressly or impliedly modified by the employer. For example, if the employer issues handbooks or other publications to employees which suggest that employees will not terminated or disciplined in accordance with certain procedures, the employee may argue that the employee was wrongfully demoted or terminated if the company fails to follow its own procedures in demoting firing the employee. Similarly, if the employer provides oral assurances of continued employment, the "at will" relationship may found to have been modified, which may require the employer to establish "good cause" prior to terminating the employee. In the legal sense of the phrase as used under California state law, "good cause" means "fair and honest reasons, regulated by good faith on the part of the employer, that are not trivial, arbitrary, or capricious, unrelated to business needs or goals, or pretextual. A reasoned conclusion, in short, supported by substantial evidence gathered through an adequate investigation that includes notice of the claimed misconduct and a chance for the employee to respond." (Cotran v. Rollins Hudig Hall Int'l, Inc. (1998) 17 Cal.4th 93, 108).

Which he had. :slayer: